Riding smarter - concessions to aging. (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Riding smarter - concessions to aging. (page 4)

Kelly IniguezTo John Pescatore

John,

That's quite a story! I didn't realize whooping cough was an issue to watch for with newborns. As in, needing a vaccination.

This is too late to help you, or maybe not. Bicycle buddy, Jerry Harp (Harpo), has COPD. He would typically land in the hospital with it a couple of times each winter. Harpo starting taking a spoonful of local honey every day. He hasn't been in the hospital for COPD since! I don't have breathing issues, but don't want to have any either. I've been stirring a spoonful of honey into my homemade yogurt every day. So far so good!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly,

Our take has been we can still do a long day...but it's the recovery that is the problem with age. So we ride shorter days and call them half rest days.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly - my wife has been pushing tea with honey on me but it didn't do anything for me, maybe because I hate tea!

I did read some NIH data that quoted a study (on children) which showed that honey was just as effective as a cough suppressant as the over the counter meds. Since stopping coughing at night to sleep is a major goal, and honey is a lot cheaper than equivalent amount of Delsym, I'm going to try some straight honey before going to bed or maybe your yogurt trick!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo John Pescatore

let me know how it goes! I’ve read using real, local honey is important. As opposed to the stuff that might be cut with corn syrup to save money. I’ve also read that heating honey destroys some

Of the health properties. 

I hope it helps. A good night’s sleep isn’t to be underrated!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago