Erie Canal travel resources - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Erie Canal travel resources

Paul Mulvey

In 2017, I rode the Erie Canal trail. "So what?" you ask? Well, if you're planning to ride the same trail, I have resources for you. I enjoyed the ride so much (maybe since it was my first tour without multiple rainy days) that I created a map set and resource guide for the trail. And I posted those on my website and have downloads you can use to plan your own tour; all free of course (no clickbait or ads here). I simply wanted to give back to other cyclists what I enjoyed.

I split the resources into 6 map segments, each about 60 miles or so. This is generally my daily average mileage. Each map set includes the overview view of that segment's route, and turn-by-turn directions in the inset with mileage markers. Below the maps are listed resources by mile-marker and what is available at that location. Resources include address, phone, and web links if available. You can see a sample below. I even have links to download the maps GPX file if you prefer. If they help you, drop me a line and let me know! Cheers!

Sample map set showing route overview and turn-by-turn directions with mileage
Sample resource page showing resources (lodging, bike shops, eateries, etc), addresses, phone, website, and where they are located (mile marker) along the route
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Paul Mulvey

Paul, this is great. I had been toying with the idea of doing the Erie Canal Trail this summer, pandemic permitting. I grew up in New York State, not far from the canal, and this has been on my radar for a long time. I'll definitely make use of your RidewithGPS maps. 

Bob

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Paul Mulvey

Thank you for the resource! We'll be including this on our upcoming ride.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Paul Mulvey

What a great reference!  Surprisingly, we may be riding this route ourselves this summer.  We’ll remember this is here when it comes time for serious planning.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Scott Anderson

@RacPat and @Scott - I'm planning to cycle the Erie this summer as well. If the timing works out it would be great to meet up somewhere along the way, even if we just had a meal at a campsite someplace. Email plans to glacierbandits AT gmail DOT com. Cheers!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John PickettTo Paul Mulvey

This is terrific. I rode the canal (from Niagara Falls) in 2004 and loooved it. I rode nearly 400 miles and encountered only two, not-so-hard hills. I especially enjoyed the part from Lockport to Syracuse. From a prior trip (running a marathon on the canal path) the fall foliage from Schenectady to Waterford is pretty darned amazing.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Paul Mulvey

For sure, that would be terrific! We leave June 1 West Coast.....plan to be in Bar Harbor by mid October...doing the ACA NT up until Fargo, then meandering a bit, the slow ferry across Lake Michigan, planning that Canada will not be open, from the end of the Erie Canalway, looking to zig zag up New Hampshire and Vermont and then across Northern Maine.

We will have to keep in touch....

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago