Journal Comments - The Hills are Alive (with the sound of wheezing) - CycleBlaze

From The Hills are Alive (with the sound of wheezing) by Jon Ayling

Jacquie Gaudet commented on a photo in A morning in Bratislava and return to Austria

I hiked the West Coast Trail in 1982 before there were any facilities, though where to camp was pretty obvious. What was also obvious were the little piles of toilet paper in the bushes near every camping place. Ugh!

Jon Ayling replied to a comment by Jacquie Gaudet on a photo in A morning in Bratislava and return to Austria

You know, it really is. There are actually google reviews of the place, about half of which are saying how great it is and the other half how the lack of toilet leads to an, um, mess. It's particularly strange when the (very long!) list of official rules says it's ok to camp for 2 days. That's a long time to hold on!

Officially sanctioned but there isn't a toilet? That sounds very odd to me!

Jacquie Gaudet commented on a photo in Bikers and Rafters

In BC (Canada) we call them 'snowsheds'. And that's exactly what they are for.

Jon Ayling replied to a comment by Polly Low on a photo in Sightseeing in Bratislava

Thanks Polly! Ah, yes that sounds right - I can't remember where I got this from but do think of it every time I see an unusual equestrian pose.

Jon Ayling replied to a comment by Kathleen Jones on Sightseeing in Bratislava

Definitely! It's a seriously underrated destination. I hadn't really given much thought to visiting it in the past, even when in the region, and a few glances from the train window didn't do it justice.

Polly Low commented on a photo in Sightseeing in Bratislava

Both front hooves in the air is supposed to mean 'killed in battle', I think -- but then Prof. W.I. Kipedia informs me that no-one quite knows how poor old Svatopluk met his end, so...

(V. much enjoying your travelling tales, btw!)

Kathleen Jones commented on Sightseeing in Bratislava

Okay, added Bratislava to my list.

2 weeks ago
Jon Ayling replied to a comment by steve bartley on The heavens open, but for some reason I go for the off-road pass anyway

Ahh interesting. I think I had enough water therapy myself on this day!

2 weeks ago
Jon Ayling replied to a comment by steve bartley on All about the Salzach

Thanks Steve - it's great hearing about others that have done a similar route, amazing what's still operating. I have to say I was very thankful for all the cycle paths - though the drivers were courteous to a fault, in the valleys it does seem like all the traffic gets funnelled onto a few roads. Probably a bit quieter on the roads in 1973 though!

2 weeks ago
steve bartley commented on All about the Salzach

I rode this section in 1973. No cycle paths then, just the main road. Your Kaprun campground is probably where I bought i lagre, heavy loaf of bread. It was the only store open on Sunday morning. I stayed at the youth hostel there. In Werfen In stayed in a little inn.

2 weeks ago
steve bartley commented on The heavens open, but for some reason I go for the off-road pass anyway

Those little pools are for Kniepp water therapy. Stork announcements are in Germany as well

2 weeks ago
Jon Ayling replied to a comment by Mike Ayling on a photo in Before the Deluge

Ah yes that makes a lot more sense! I did wonder why guide dogs would need to be quite so fast-moving...

3 weeks ago
Jon Ayling replied to a comment by Kathleen Jones on The Mountain Bike Route

1985 - good year! Glad it's recognisable from the photos - I guess it probably hasn't changed enormously!

3 weeks ago
Kathleen Jones replied to a comment by Kathleen Jones on The Mountain Bike Route

It was actually 1985 that I was in Bad Mitterndorf. A minor point but I'd rather it was only 35 years ago and not 40. Which I can't believe it was that long ago anyway. Your photos brought it all back so easily.

3 weeks ago