Journal Comments - The Great Tasman Taste Trail - CycleBlaze

From The Great Tasman Taste Trail by Tricia Graham

Graham Smith commented on Back to Nelson

Tricia thanks for the journal. I really enjoyed reading it as Nelson-Richmond has been like a second home to me over the past 37 years. My parents-in-law lived in Richmond, so I have been able to cycle tour much of the Nelson-Marlborough region.

I last visited the in-laws in February and took one of my folding bikes over to NZ from Australia . From Richmond, I cycled much of your journaled ride in a series of day trips from my in-laws' place. I especially loved the Spooner tunnel which I rode through on day ride from Richmond and through to Mapua.

As covid started, I had to depart Richmond for a return to Australia in a hurry as the Australian and NZ borders began to close; so I decided to leave my bike in Richmond at the in-laws' house on the assumption I'd be able to get back reasonably soon, visit them again and do more riding. Little did I know how much would change in just a few months. Sadly both in-laws passed away a few months ago; and the bike is still in storage at their place.

Fingers crossed we can back to NZ in 2021, and see some more of the beautiful places in your journal.

Steve Miller/Grampies commented on Back to Nelson

Thanks for the tour Trisha. Cycle touring is beginning to feel a bit like a distant memory for us, and I pass our bookshelves full of Bikeline books each day with a bit of a glazed look. But you are helping keep the dreams alive, and with luck cycle touring will re-open in the not too too distant future.

Tricia Graham commented on Kaiteriteri

As you can imagine I couldn’t get him past it

Kathleen Jones commented on Kaiteriteri

Tractor heaven! Yay!

Tricia Graham replied to a comment by Steve Miller/Grampies on Kaiteriteri

We have been enjoying the spring so much as we have missed it for so many years. This about the time we usually get back from Europe so now we have caught up. Tricia

Steve Miller/Grampies commented on Kaiteriteri

So enjoying being able to follow you. Only thing, it is really disconcerting to have the seasons completely backwards. Here we are just finishing getting the gardens put to bed for the winter while you are enjoying the start of the growing time. Dodie

Suzanne Gibson commented on Nelson

3000 km! Things are certainly far apart in your part of the world! I wish you a good start and that your hip stays where it is supposed to be!

Tricia Graham replied to a comment by Steve Miller/Grampies on Nelson

They are strange times but it does feel a little like normal to cycle around in our island bubble even though everyone is speaking English!

2 weeks ago
Tricia Graham replied to a comment by ann maher on Nelson

Thank you Ann. Like you we should have been touring in Europe but this is a little compensation We realise how lucky we are to travel around freely in a country that is at the moment Covid free. Like you we are hoping for next fall in europe

Steve Miller/Grampies commented on Nelson

Just being able to click on a current Trisha Graham blog gives a comforting sense of normality, even if the jaunt will be short.

Steve

ann maher commented on Nelson

Hi Trish and Ken
I am so excited to see you posting on your trip. I have loved reading your blogs over the years. I tell anyone who will listen about your escapades. Glad to see you are out travelling on your bikes this year. Look forward to you getting back to Europe, perhaps next year and reading about your antics. You are an inspiration. My husband and I are 60 and just retired a year ago. We had a 3 month trip planned for Italy and Croatia last spring. Hopefully next fall!

Tricia Graham replied to a comment by Suzanne Gibson on A short springtime tour

It feels good Suzanne even though it is an incredibly short trip. Get to Nelson today and start tomorrow

Suzanne Gibson commented on A short springtime tour

Wonderful that you are out on your bikes for a tour again!

Tricia Graham replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on A short springtime tour

We lived in Nelson for a year over 50years ago and part from walking the Able Tasman Park haven’t been back since so are really looking forward to it even if our bike ride is so pathetically short.

Tricia Graham replied to a comment by Mike Ayling on A short springtime tour

One thing Covid has done has been to give us the opportunity to explore it rather than leap on t plane and fly away. We have been to places we haven’t visited for 50 years!