Day 15 - Paseo del Bosque Trail - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2024

Day 15 - Paseo del Bosque Trail

Onward … eastward … looking for some more warmth.

We drove to Albuquerque this morning with the intention of cycling the Paseo del Bosque Trail which is the city’s main cycling attraction.  Described as “not a rail trail” we found it to be quite similar to many Rail Trails we have ridden in other states.

With the Rio Grande river on one side and an overflow channel on the other, we rode south through the city on a nice trail that was somewhat reminiscent of the canal trails in Phoenix.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The goal was a wildlife refuge on the south side of the city and as we cycled we heard the familiar sounds of Canada geese and Sandhill cranes, both sounds we know from Alaska.

Valle de Oro National Wildlife Refuge
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail skirted most of the city but we did get to ride next to the industrial section of the city as we took the Chavez Trail when we couldn’t find access to the Camino Trail which ends near the refuge.  Once looped, however, we were on the right side of the street and rode the last few miles.

I believe the refuge could be quite nice if the weather cooperated but as soon as we arrived, the winds kicked up to the 25-30 mph zone and the dust became a straight in your face experience.  So we opted to simply turn around as no birds would have been flying in those conditions.

“I’ve never been hit by a tumbleweed” until now
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we were leaving, Lisa commented “I’ve never been hit by a tumbleweed” which then happened within a few minutes as the winds were strong enough to push those tumbleweeds right through the fence.  I guess a new experience. 

Typical scenery along the Paseo del Bosque Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

The return ride went quickly but the winds didn’t subside so a crosswind produces that deaf in one ear effect which does dampen one’s experience slightly.

Minor obstacle from one path to another …
Heart 0 Comment 0

One last “weirdness” to note.  For several miles along the trail we noticed barriers between us and the river.  Lots of ideas as to what they were, no idea what they actually were for.  I know we are a bit too far north of the border for any connection to the wall and the only conclusion my mind could settle on was something to due with flooding and a system to catch floating debris.  Any other ideas?

Question for those out there … what is this fence along the trail separating us from the Rio Grande … too far north to be part of the wall
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretVehicles or animal barrier, perhaps?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Larry MitchellDid some more research and the had to do with river bank stabilization many years ago.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,551 miles (2,496 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0