Day 14 - The Petrified Non-Forest - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 20, 2024

Day 14 - The Petrified Non-Forest

From the canyon to the prairie or maybe from the cold to the wind … not sure about today’s theme but there was quite a change in the two days of cycling. 

Today we opted to head east towards New Mexico as the weather seemed better in that direction. We left the canyon after watching the iMax presentation and headed towards Flagstaff and then onward towards Holbrook. 

Wide open … in every direction
Heart 2 Comment 0

After passing Holbrook, we stopped at the Petrified Forest National Park and decided some petrified trees would be a nice riding focus. Should have read the literature first as we discovered the petrified trees are focused in the southern end of the park while we were in the northern end of the park. 

So we never saw any petrified trees and will have to trust they are out there somewhere. 

Our transportation has improved a bit since then
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesNot so sure about that. Those old cars are pretty cool and were easier to maintain and repair than today's electronic infested models.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The Mother Road
Heart 1 Comment 0

Now we can say we cycled just a small portion of Route 66 so a victory of sorts. 

The biggest factor today, though, was the wind. We dealt with 20-25 mph winds out of the southwest which made it crosswinds for the entire ride. Had thoughts that I was back in Wyoming and South Dakota from some earlier trips. Wind becomes somewhat numbing after a bit to all your senses. 

Wide open so the wind can blow a bit more
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset … finally
Heart 4 Comment 0

We did get a nice sunset as we continued driving towards New Mexico because of those winds. So the wind is not as bad now as it was earlier. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 1,511 miles (2,432 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0