Looking Forward - Reflecting on the Past - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

Looking Forward - Reflecting on the Past

Ringing in the new year … -15 degrees Fahrenheit, slight wind, but fireworks don’t work in July.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In 2023 we completed our quest to cycle all 50 states, a quest that began in 1998 when we cycled in the island of Kauai. Subsequent trips would take us across the United States, up part of the east coast, along the Natchez Trace, following the Lewis and Clark trail, and many regional trips throughout the states. We started using 2 wheel long recumbent bikes, transitioned to our Terratrike Travellers trikes and having retired those trikes, are venturing forward on our ICE Adventure trikes. We are fortunate to have two sets, one model with rear suspension and a 26 inch rear wheel which we ride in Alaska, and our newest trikes which are non-suspended ICE Adventures with all 20 inch wheels. These are our new “travel” trikes. 

It took quite a few years, but we have a picture with a specific memory from all 50 states.
Heart 4 Comment 0

In 2023, I also cycled 11,247 miles despite our long, cold winters and the vast majority of those miles aren’t on a trip somewhere but rather the daily riding and a lot of miles spinning around and around on a trainer looking for distractions. 

2023 Cycling Log
Heart 0 Comment 0

So upon reflection, I have decided to keep a single journal for the year as I don’t know that readers get a full reflection of an author by simply reading one segment or trip in a year’s time.   As I ride year around, I hoping to provide the big picture, the big trips, the smaller in-state trips, as well as the daily and weekly miles as they go by. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob DistelbergSome very impressive 2023 stats! November 29th must have been a bummer.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Bob DistelbergYes it was … got a fairly ugly case of the flu. First day I had since since September 2022.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago