Ride 16 - White Sands National Park - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 22, 2024

Ride 16 - White Sands National Park

We’ve been looking forward to this ride since we did it last year. But first, back to how the day evolved.

We started this morning in Albuquerque with the intention of driving to Alamogordo and finding a local ride.  Along the way we turned down the “recommended” road from the maps app only to find ourselves at a closed and restricted access point to the White Sands Missile Range.  So we turned around for option 2 but first saw a historic marker for the Trinity Site.

The Trinity Site was the location of the first atomic bomb test thus ushering in the atomic era which changed the course of history. From what I can figure, the closed road we drove down would have taken us close to the actual site.  Kinda makes my skin tingle a little wondering if things out there still glow in the dark.

Into another world …
Heart 2 Comment 0

But … our real focus today was riding the the White Sands National Park and the park simply is like no other place we have ever cycled.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The sand is actually gypsum sand which is what is used in the production of drywall and plaster.  The deposit is actually the largest area in the world although the park only encompasses a small portion of the entire deposit.

Heart 2 Comment 0

What we notice is once you are riding on the sand, it is very firm and hard packed although if you get in a wind blown section, it becomes very slick and you lose traction.

One could probably take hundreds of photos and never see quite the same thing and it would be interesting to find a marked spot and take that photo over the course of 365 days to see the changes a year would bring.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
FaceTiming with all the granddaughters to show them a whole different world.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As this is a short ride, we opted to head towards El Paso for tomorrow’s ride and perhaps get a view of the famous border wall.  No desire to head into Mexico, however.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 1,567 miles (2,522 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSpectacular place! Been there twice, camped in the remote area (dotted line on the left side of the map). Both times, I was in line for camping reservations about an hour before they opened, and there were lots of folks ahead of me. Lucky to get a good tent site, but then they are probably all good. I agree about taking photos. I took an awful lot and posted a few on my facebook .

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10215778771438368&set=a.10215770716356996
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonAnother place I’ve long wanted to see. Thanks for taking us there.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Scott AndersonDefinitely worth a stop along the way.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago