Bayonne to Saint-Étienne-de-Baïgorry - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2023

Bayonne to Saint-Étienne-de-Baïgorry

Heading into the Pyrénées

Our original route plan was to spend two nights in Bayonne and complete a day ride on the second day out the coast and see Biarritz. However as the weather forecast has been so favourable, we decided to head toward the mountains instead and leave the coast of France for the last leg of the tour. Here's hoping for a never ending summer!

As we wanted an early start for our ride to Saint-Étienne-de-Baïgorry we arranged to have  breakfast at the hotel. We arrived at the breakfast room just after 8 am when the doors opened for guests. The room was very nicely furnished, like a living room with furniture on one side and small tables with chairs on the other half. Breakfast was very continental - brewed coffee, a basket of bread, orange juice, corn flakes and yogurt. A  good start to our day but these relatively minimal breakfasts are not inexpensive at 8 euros (12 cad) each, just very convenient sometimes.

We gathered our things from our room and joined the other bike owners on the ground level  to untangle our bikes. An interesting experience with no common language! It was easy to find our way out of the old city to a cycle path along the La Nive river. La Nive is a tributary that empties  into the L`Dour at Bayonne. The path was well used by walkers, joggers and cyclists.  People are very friendly and greet everyone with a cheery "bonjour" as they pass.  Even joggers with headphones on, gasping for air, will provide a greeting. Really nice.

Highschool students having early morning rowing lessons, life jackets not required.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storing the outrigger canoes beside the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Easy riding. Stlll a bit cloudy and cool as it was an early start.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Idyllic and peaceful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some pretty flowers. Pat says we have these at home as in - no picture required. I liked them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roosters are easy to photograph and pretty too.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenCaruso! We holler that every time we go by a rooster who is greeting the day.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
We were quite amazed to see this large patch of peppers until we saw fields full of them. Hot peppers are a specialty of the area.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Fields of peppers.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After 20 kilometres of very serene riding we stopped in the town of Ustaritz for a coffee break. Leaving Ustaritz we were in for a real shock when we found ourselves face to face with the busy D932 highway. We stopped and checked for options but could not find anything and hoped the unpleasantness would be over quickly. It was a major road but at least it had  a decent shoulder. In the end, we  only had to ride it for about 4 kms until our turn off  appeared and we quickly turned onto the  much quieter D410. It  was still a two lane highway but had much less traffic. Our next turn off took us back to the preferred country roads and soon we had a totally unexpected highlight of the day.

The D410 was a welcome relief after the very busy and fast D928.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back onto quiet roads.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The mountains are getting closer as the Pyrénées come into view.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Reaching the the small rural village of Itxassou we found our surprise in Pas de Roland, a narrow 3km  easy cycling road bordering the Nive River.  It was a wonderful place to see, full of beautiful landscapes of the small gorge. Below are a number of pictures of the route.

Can you spot Pat?
Heart 8 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraOh my....Scott and Rachel Anderson inspired us to ride this road in one of their tomes of journals; and now you guys! Thanks for the memory!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Pat was over run by a ladies walking group. They were impressed with the bike and her courage. The Pas de Roland is a popular walking route.
Heart 6 Comment 0
All smiles on this stretch of road and who wouldn`t be?
Heart 8 Comment 0
Looking down into the Nive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If you look closely you can see the fish.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinQuick, get your rod!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Fun road to ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pas de Roland.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Leaving the Pas de Roland we traveled through a large agricultural area, still on one lane country roads.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leeks!! You can smell them before you see them. I love them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stunning views on this beautiful blue sky day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots of horse chestnuts on the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Nive River.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Watch out for the loose gravel! It really was not that bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very rural with lots of farms and animals.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sheep hiding in the shade. Blue markings on this crowd.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThere will be lambs in about 4-5 months. The rams had blue dye on their chests and when they mate the ewes are marked on their rumps. The colour is changed regularly, so the farmer knows who was bred when.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Really pretty area.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stayed off major roads and followed the Nive River along a road that had a number of short, very steep - stand on your pedals sections.  Part way, we stopped at the village of Bidarray for a much needed picnic lunch. We were now only 18 km from our destination but still needed to gain some elevation. We left town over the historic Noblia Bridge and rejoined the dreaded D918 highway. It was a larger road but had not nearly the same amount of traffic  as our D928 experience earlier and it was a just a quick 3 or 4 kms before we turned off  onto a quieter road to Saint-Étienne-de-Baïgorry.

Sitting on a rock wall we cut up some cheese and bread to eat.
Heart 5 Comment 0

 

The Noblia Bridge. The tale is told that this bridge was built in just one night by the Laminak (small elves from Basque mythology). They crossed the bridge on foot to get to the other bank.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pat crossing the Noblia Bridge.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Scott AndersonI knew it! I was pretty sure I remembered riding this road nine years ago, but now I’m certain: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/girona2014/saint-jean-de-luz/#3263_1930262_803vo9_image
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonIt looks like you pretty much saw it the same way we did nine years later. It was a great ride. A blog sure helps the recall!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick O'HaraAnd....on the bridge of the devil!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Another look from the other side.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The D918. Not many cars now and really wide shoulders so it was not a bad ride. Some pretty nice views, too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More sheep. These ones had yellow ownership markings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lovely green hillsides of the Pyrénées.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So long to flat road riding for a while!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott can now relax with this Basque beer from the hotel bar. He is pretty happy with himself.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today, the route planner continued to add more vertical to our day in preparation for the push over the top. It was likely our best ride on the tour so far! We stayed at the far end of Saint-Étienne-de-Baïgorry in a nice hotel. The town was small and there were few restaurants open, so after a walk through the village we returned to the restaurant in our hotel for dinner. 

Church of Saint-Étienne de Baïgorry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Roman bridge in Saint-Etienne-de-Baïgorry was built in 1661 - its arch inspired by Roman architecture.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pat on the bridge, happy to provide scale!
Heart 6 Comment 1
KAREN JONESI don't know... Pat has the same look I get when it's photo #120 of the day...
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The night sky in Saint-Etienne-de-Baïgorry looking west toward the hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another shot of the sun setting behind the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scott`s mushroom risotto and fish.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Tomorrow is a rest day with a very short ride to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 458 km (284 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonWhat a great ride, with great photos!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Rachael AndersonThank you. It was a really great day and now I have seen that you and Scott did a similar ride in reverse 9 years ago. I read your blog from that day. Very nice but 72 Kim’s is never a short day for us!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenWonderful pictures, wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago