Day 6 - Katy Trail Yo-Yo - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2023

Day 6

Jefferson City - Pilot Grove

We had stayed at the Baymont, which is fairly close to the river bridge, and our ride out of town was uneventful, because it was a holiday morning. The only hiccup in our plans, was that breakfast was normally served at 6 am, and the desk clerk had told us that at check in, but the staff working the holidays decided that they would not open until 7. We found this laid back, “who cares” attitude pretty common along the trail. A few exceptions, but not many. Not even coffee could be had before 7. For bike tourers, that’s taking up valuable cool air time that could be spent churning out some miles.

One mechanical today, and once again it was Paul. He looked down to find his left crankarm dangling from his cleat. He performed the crankarm reattachment ritual, which includes pounding the arm back on with your wrist, and wrenching it as tight as possible to prevent slippage, using your finger to tighten the nylon piece in the center. 

An early stop at Coopers Landing meant conversation with a gentleman that we could only assume had some special needs. He said he felt like the entire trail was flat, and that he never felt like he was going uphill or down. He used his bike as his sole means of transportation. As we left, we realized he was on ab e-bike. He was a rather large man, so we were impressed that he was out getting exercise. 

Another set of riders that we met had ridden over from Columbia, and told us a majority of riders in this area were from Columbia. They were right. The trail became very crowded, especially around the McBaine trailhead. There were still crowds of riders all the way to Rocheport. Beyond there, to the west, the trail was quiet.

We climbed the bridge to Boonville, and began the gentle ascent up out of the river valley. By the time we reached Pilot Grove, it was evening. The only happening thing in town was the Casey’s convenience store. Dinner would be at the city park, with two pavilions, restrooms, and lots of green grass. During the summer the pool has showers, but we were later in the season. Oh yeah, the lights at the park are blinding. No problem packing up at 5 am. 

Paul was still using two crank arms at this point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early arrival at Hartsburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water stop only.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Note the star on the church in Hartsburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Open for business. The usuals: beer, iced coffee, packaged sandwiches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
…….and a view of the Missouri River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trees were too thick. If you look closely, you’ll see the natural arch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign tells you not to stop. They want you moving when the 1 ton rock crushes you.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A 1 pound rock falling from the top of this bluff would cause serious bodily harm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always wear your helmet, and never look up. Just flip the screen on your phone, and look at the bluff through the camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tunnel ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tunnel at Rocheport.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing Interstate 70.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting yard off the trail with a gazebo on an island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pilot Grove pavilions had plenty of power receptacles, picnic tables, and one of the few places on the trail that designated “Mens” and “Womens” restrooms. No charge to camp here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 392 miles (631 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0