Day 1 - Katy Trail Yo-Yo - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2023

Day 1

Windsor to New Franklin

Katy Rock Jct.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dark start
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Could not “feel” the highest point on the trail. We had over 1000 ft of elevation gain today, which can be surprising on a rail trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Every stop had an awesome canopy with information on the rail line, and local history.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The original rails in Sedalia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kansas made bricks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thank you to the Jones Family. What an awesome vision.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of only a couple signals remaining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old bridge, which raised and lowered for marine traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice bike lane over the Missouri River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Katy Rock Junction is adjacent to the Katy, and within .25 mile of the Rock Island Spur. Tent camping and sleeper cabins, with a separate shower/restroom facility and a storage garage are all spread out on a well maintained lawn. This place is clean, well kept, and quite convenient. The five star reviews are spot on. 

After an 11 hour drive, the sleeper cabin was the way to go. The owner provided a nice parking space for our vehicle while completing the out and back course. We opted to ride hungry, and make Green Ridge our breakfast stop about 9 miles down the trail. Even within 15 minutes of sunrise, the canopy of trees kept the trail in complete darkness. We were soon passed by a randonneuring rider who we dubbed “Mr. Congeniality”. He had tent camped at the same property. We likened him to a morning commuter who would just as soon run you over as look at you. 

Green Ridge’s cafe was Mona’s, and they had plenty of room for three old sweaty guys. Unlike locals in Western Kansas, or Eastern Colorado, the folks here just keep to themselves and give you the occasional glare. They know you’re riding the Katy, so there’s never the questions “where you from”, and “how far you going”?

The western end of the trail doesn’t roll as easily as the eastern end, so by the time we reached Pilot Grove it was time for lunch at Katarina’s Cafe. Pilot Grove was a polar opposite of Green Ridge, with every local engaging in conversation with us. 

A couple miles outside Boonville, there was dark, tree-lined, downhill section. At Boonville, we toured the old Katy River Bridge, which juts out into the Missouri River, but does not cross any longer. A separate, isolated bike lane uses the same bridge as motor vehicle traffic. Before heading across the bridge, we opted to stop at a pizza place in the main business section and cool our body temperatures with something cold. 

Our campsite was the Katy Roundhouse Campground, just a few miles down the trailer. Coming from the west, the sign points to where the tent camping is, but does not indicate where the office for paying is located. I called the phone number, and found out a small room at the end of the old depot building (which is now a home), is the form drop-off and pay station. It’s a typical block building with ancient showers and toilets, and modern lights that magically shut off in the middle of a shower. Tent camping is isolated from the RV’s, and could accommodate a very large group, with picnic tables at each location.

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 62 miles (100 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0