Day 7 - Katy Trail Yo-Yo - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Day 7

Pilot Grove - Windsor

Early start.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Several of these culverts were at high points on the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water at Sedalia’s terminal. ‘Ol’ Chilly Hilly himself!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gold and rain ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thunder was cracking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clifton City dust control.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Draw a line between Clifton City and Sedalia. Line of storms was moving NW to SE.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rock Island Spur goes to Pleasant Hill near Kansas City.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A weeks worth of limestone dust.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The staff at Casey’s were on time, and the coffee was hot at 6 am sharp. We appreciated the town of Pilot Grove. Nice camping, a mid-day cafe which we stopped at on the first day of our journey, and a convenience store with good hours for a small community. 

Early on our ride, we saw a mother deer and her fawn standing on the trail. Mom was, of course, nearest to us, and darted off in one direction, while her fawn ran the other. We saw a rainbow, shortly before Clifton City. Thunder followed, and we could hear and smell the rain coming. We arrived at the trailhead, and sheltered under the canopy, just as the rain arrived. We sat out the storm, then headed out. Joe watched an armadillo waddle across the road right behind Paul and I. No more surprises on this trip, just a small delay that would keep us from leaving at a decent hour. 

Arriving in Windsor, we took celebratory photos at the caboose. A group of high school juniors from Ft. Scott Kansas were stopped at the trailhead. They had started in Clinton, and were heading east. Talking to one of their teachers, we learned they did not take money, but relied on their singing, and the graciousness of others, to complete the trip. Each was dressed in a gray shirt, just like a uniform. We donated to the teacher, who was pulling his young son in a trailer, and learned these young men were in a good environment for learning about life’s trials and tribulations.

After showering at Katy Rock Junction, we began the long 11-1/2 hour journey back home. Six and one half days of riding. Not bad for a 70 and 67 year old, and one young pup still in his 50’s! One of our first tasks when arriving home would be to remove a weeks worth of limestone dust from our bikes and bags, and laundering our clothing twice to remove the gunk. 

Made it!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 437 miles (703 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0