Day 5 - Katy Trail Yo-Yo - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2023

Day 5

Marthasville - Jefferson City

We decided the night before, that we would get a motel room and do laundry today. What better place to cross the river than Jefferson City, with its amazing pedestrian bike ramp up to the bridge.

We again stopped at the grocery just a fraction of a mile off the Katy, on the highway to Hermann. This highway was extremely busy, and difficult to cross. This time we entered from the north side of the store, and discovered a seating section that was chilled nearly as much as a walk-in cooler. Our sweaty bodies loved it. A local told of riding across the US on his Harley, tent camping along the way. He congratulated us on pedaling all day, then setting up camp. He thought he was tough until he talked to us. He realized his motor was an obvious advantage. He was fascinated with our generator front hubs, and the Sinewave Revolutions that two of us use to charge our cache batteries. 

Today on the trail we saw deer, turtles, and an assortment of birds. Even saw what appeared to be a prairie chicken feather. I haven’t seen one in person since the 1970’s growing up in Kansas.

Further up the trail, we reached the Mokane trailhead. A tandem couple had just plugged their Quiring custom tandem rear tubeless tire that was blowing sealant. We learned they started in Banff, on the Great Divide Trail, and were now traversing the US, heading to their home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. As we talked, a couple walked up and handed them hamburgers and drinks. Paul asked where the food came from, and they pointed towards the Lion’s Club Park, where the Mokane World’s Fair was happening. Needless to say, we made a beeline for the food shack. I had thought it was a county fair, but Joe pointed out the newspaper headline in Jeff City, calling it a worlds fair. I guess it was the world’s smallest world’s fair.

Most of the bridges were built in the 1920’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saw mostly corn and beans being grown, but occasionally passed cattle grazing on some of the plushest grass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near Bluffton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The assembled operation of barges, boats, and equipment for dredging the sand and rock from the river. Near this area, the river had a naturally occurring section that was 70’ deep. Little known fact: Even though a tributary to the Mighty Mississippi River, the Missouri River is actually longer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A young box turtle learning how to safely cross the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tree canopy sections were a welcome relief.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mokane’s World’s Fair.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two naked hot dogs, a bag of Fritos, a lemonade, and a root beer, was $6.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The massive crowds at the fair.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Double track trail to Jeff City.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching the ramp up to the bridge. Aptly named The Skywalk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Joe going up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pedestrian bike lane on bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The state capitol.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeff City has some hills!
Heart 1 Comment 0
They also have some excellent dinners made for hungry cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 327 miles (526 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0