Mumbai to Murud - Mumbai to Goa - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2024

Mumbai to Murud

I got to Gateway of India a little too  early so was turned away and told to come back at 6am.  By 6.10 I realised that the gate I was waiting by was not being used but a side gate was……bit of a rush but got aboard just as they cast off.

it was still dark. but a couple of passengers discovered a Scorpion which was quickly evicted. 

Ferry cost Rs150 plus Rs100 for the bike (£2,50 total).  Forty minute ride, approx 80 seat ferry.

We docked on the South side of Bombay Harbour as it got light and I navigated with sun on left to keep riding South.

Ferry behind bike
Heart 3 Comment 0
Which way?
Heart 2 Comment 0

 The road South towards Alibag was smooth and quiet but by 8am

school busses and more traffic appeared.   I routed through Alibag instead of taking the more obvious way inland to NH4 as Google earth had suggested there might be a ferry across the river.  To get to it I cycled down very narrow allys which would not be in the tourist guide books and reached a concrete jetty used by Fishermen.   A small boat chugged across the river and to get into it there was a drop of about 4ft.  I lowered my bike in, which meant I got into the dead fish remains, a smell which has taken time and showers and clothing washes to remove.   Once the small ferry was pointing in the right direction the diesel engine was started for a few revolutions which took us across the river onto a sandy beach.  Getting out was easier than getting in but it did mean walking through shallow water - which did not remove the fish smell!

Small ferry on the beach, South of Alibag
Heart 5 Comment 0

I was now on a road that ran roughly along the coast, a bit rough in places, but OK.   There was one beautiful sandy beach at Kotlai but it was packed with people, jet skis, quad bikes and horses…., while a few miles further on the coast returned to empty beaches with a few small fishing settlements.   Made Murud by 2pm. Fifty miles including a little pottering around Mumbai and Murud.  Had to put the sun protection on.  The gloves are leather gardening ones and I may cut the finger tips off if I get too hot- I could not find any long fingered thin cycling gloves that gave sun protection!

What the discerning cyclist wears in 2024…
Heart 4 Comment 2
Leslie HarrisHope the locals aren’t too scared.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Spencer StinchcombeYou look more like a beekeeper🤣 Or something of doctor who?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Track along the coast. Unfortunately it ended so I had to return to the road
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 50 miles (80 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Paul CalvertLooks great fun Andy! Wishing you open tracks and freedom from (heavy) traffic!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Andy BuchanThanks Paul. Shame I am not going South to Trivandrum this time
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Leslie Harris50 miles on day one, that’s good going.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago