The end of the trip - Mumbai to Goa - CycleBlaze

The end of the trip

After staying for a couple of days on the coast at Colva, with a day trip inland to buy a motorbike jacket to wear when I got back to UK, I cycled back to Panjim on the motorway hard shoulder.   Away from the main roads it was fine riding through the town and I stayed near the market area which has a mixture of older Portuguese houses from when the Portuguese ruled Goa, Hindu temples and Roman Catholic churches.

Catholic church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hindu temple
Heart 2 Comment 0

I stripped off the bike the touring bits and pieces which I needed to take home with me, leaving the bike looking a bit naked but ready for it’s next owner.

Bike stripped down
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next day there was a National holiday across India to celebrate the opening of a large new Hindu temple in the North.   In the evening temples were lit up.

Temple at night
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next day I flew back to UK and at the airport was a rather nice model of a Goan Podder - someone who sells freshly made bread from their bike.  This still happens today.  The podder cycles slowly around with a squeaky hand held horn that they use to attract customers.  With the large basket behind them they get on and off the bike by kicking a leg forwards over the cross bar as they balance on a pedal.  I am not sure I could do that!

Goan Podder at Panjim Airport
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 604 miles (972 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Fred OramWell Done Andy, what a great adventure, glad you didn't have any major mishaps. Shame not being able to find the lifeboats your Dad built, but at least you got to see the place. And well done for leaving your bike for someone else to enjoy.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago