We're on our way - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2024

We're on our way

Gauting, Germany - Siviriez, Switzerland

It's so exciting to plan a trip for some time six months down the road, but when the date rolls around and you are faced with reality of a very long drive, bad weather and all the insecurities and decisions involved in the undertaking, it can be more intimidating than exciting. But we made it, we took the hurdles and were sitting in the car with the bikes  on the rack and ready to leave at 10 am sharp! And then we wondered, what was all the fuss about.

The  drive was okay, heavy traffic around Zurich and rain for the last two hours, but all in all uneventful. What more can you ask. It even stopped raining when we arrived and we could carry our bags into our room without getting wet. We are staying at the same place as we did last year on our way to Arles where we met up with Susan. It's comfortable and we can park right outside the door to our room, car and bicycles in view. This time we didn't go to the restaurant down the road. It was more expensive than our room and not very good. Instead we enjoyed a room picnic and will soon be hitting the sack.

Approaching Zurich
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our window
Heart 7 Comment 6
Karen PoretJust a thought.. Would it be any “safer” to back the car in, so the bikes could be not so circumspect ?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonAmazing. Somehow you make even a shot like this quite beautiful, Suzanne.

Glad to see you’re still coming! And the weather forecast looks like it’s improving. It might be sloppy for your first few days in Portugal still, but by the 2nd week in April it’s looking quite nice.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Karen PoretWe felt totally safe in this residential street in a remote village. And of course the bicycles were locked. Still first thing in the morning I peeked out the window.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonWhew!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauScott's right, this picture looks like a painting.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauThanks!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 6
John O SullivanHi Suzanne and greetings from Darmstadt .

Viel Gluck! Ich werde die Reise folgen!

April 1st is also a start day for me, but not cycling. I become a pensioner!. So now I will have some time to do longer trips too. My son lives in Madrid, so that would be a good target. My wife must work for 5 more years but we have our annual bike tour for 2024 ( 18 days) booked starting June 27 (Rhine to Bodensee and back through Rotenburg and along the Main). So that could be perhaps a good time for my first blog.

We passed you going the other direction a couple of years back as you cycled to Kassel, while we cycled from Hanover to Darmstadt.

Viele Grüße

John
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Nancy GrahamI may be as excited for you as you are ;’). Among other things, some of my hopes for you are for good weather, wonderful scenery and great photos I will get to see ;’). I look forward to touring with you through your blogging and you beautiful photos. Good travels to you two.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo John O SullivanHi, yes I remember you spotted us that day when we were on our way to Kassel.
Sounds like you have a good tour planned. Maybe you'll write a journal this time?
Viel Spass!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThanks for the good wishes, Nancy! I'll try to live up to your expectations!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith ClassenBon voyage! We will be following along. Hope the weather turns in your favour. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith ClassenThanks, Keith! Good weather is sure to come.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago