Making progress - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2024

Making progress

Siviriez, Switzerland - Égletons, France

Second day on the road. Yesterday we progressed from Germany, through a bit of Austria and on to Switzerland. Today we crossed the border into France. It was a congested border crossing inspite of the fact that there were no border formalities, customs or anything else. The three lanes at the border were closed down to one lane for no apparent reason and we spent something like an hour inching forward. Finally when we crossed into France it was smooth sailing. Until we made a wrong turn somewhere near Lyon which cost us I don't know how long to get back on track. The maze of highways around Lyon looked to me something like the Los Angeles freeways.

Snow covered mountains greet us in the morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rainy and very windy when we left
Heart 3 Comment 0

 We got into Égletons around six and looked forward to plopping down and relaxing before we went out for something to eat. The apartment we had booked was indeed a humble abode. Sheets and towels appeared upon request and we made our own bed. But the heating works (it's 6C outside) and there are plenty of outlets. Égletons is off the tourist circuit and is one of those French towns that is obviously not prospering. We see many run down and empty buildings.

I think our apartment was previously a barn.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretGotta start out somehow ;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We have a hideaway bed that unfolds from the wall. Sheets and pillowcases were delivered in a box.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the local pub, we have a beer while waiting for the restaurant upstairs to open.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not much going on here.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Karen PoretI admire Janos’ jaunty mushroom “cap”..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Karen PoretA nice touch, isn't it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We brought our bikes into our room, did a bit of journaling, and now it's lights out.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe have found navigating through Lyon, on bikes, a challenge each time we gave tried it. Seems like in a car is not much better. Glad you are in a warm and dry place for the night.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen JonesProgress being made! Following along.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd the hideaway bed turned out to be very comfortable.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonWelcome to romantic France!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonThat is good, since usually they are not at all comfortable.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago