Good Friday - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2024

Good Friday

Égletons, France - Bidart, France

The third day on the road took us close to the Spanish border. It rained lightly in the morning but the closer we got to the Atlantic coast, the heavier it poured. Nevertheless we enountered no detours (I forgot to mention yesterday's), didn't take any wrong turns, the roads weren't congested and we arrived feeling tired but less stressed than the day before.

Our pop-up bed turned out to be very comfortable and after a good night's sleep, Égletons was looking better than yesterday. We were almost tempted to take a walk and take a few pictures, but no, not in the rain.

No view to snow covered peaks from our room this morning
Heart 3 Comment 1
Nancy GrahamNot a usual view I see from your accommodations. Looks more like some of the campgrounds we find on our travels ;’). Comfy bed and warmth are worth a lot!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A café in the local bar
Heart 7 Comment 0
The barista making our coffee
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seats reserved for punks with dogs. We didn't have a dog but sat there anyway.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We drove through a beautiful region and wished it were a sunny day, saw horses, cows and sheep in the fields, picturesque ponds. This would be a wonderful place to ride our bikes. 

Lovely landscape driving through the Périgord, even in the rain. Closer to the coast the terrain flattened and the visibility was reduced to rain, rain on the windshield, rain sprayed from the wheels of the trucks we passed, rain on the road.
Heart 6 Comment 0

After a couple of breaks to fuel the car and ourselves, we arrived at our hotel at 3:30, an hour earlier than check-in time. No problem, our room was ready. It's a tiny room, but we fit and didn't have to make up the bed, either.

We had a good meal at our hotel and now it's time to turn in.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesIf you have to move in the rain, it is better to be in a car than on a bike. Hope the weather improves for you soon.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI thought many times during the day how good it was to be warm and dry in the car even if it isn't my favorite mode of transportation!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago