Summary and Conclusions - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2024

Summary and Conclusions

For those of you who have been following us on our tour in Portugal and Spain, you know not everything turned out as planned. 

The first loop, part of which we rode with Susan, consisted of 14 cycling days. Janos' bike problems cut that short by two days for him, and I cycled on with the Andersons on a new route, omitting our return to Portugal to the car.  A real bummer for Janos because he wasn't able to solve his bike problems for the rest of the trip. We were also sorry to miss the ride back to Portugal. I had been looking forward to it. Neverthelss, a catastrophe was averted with the generous help from Rachael and Scott in retrieving the car. The new plan was that Janos would accompany the Andersons and me by car.

The second loop of nine rides was originally planned to start and end in Mérida. But since Janos would be traveling along by car, we saw no reason to loop back to Mérida. We canceled our bookings and would continue home once we reached Plasencia. However, I got sick in Mérida and that was the end of our tour.  I had ridden a total of 14 days and Janos 12. 

The drive to and back consumed 10 days. Obviously that was a lot of time and effort invested for 14 days of cycling (for Janos 12). None of this could have been foreseen. Nor could we have predicted that we would have many cold days. Spring in Iberia was in some ways a misnomer.

Conclusions

What made it worthwhile anyway: 

We were able to again spend time with Susan, Rachael and Scott. Our crises and difficulties had the effect of strengthening our friendship. We would have had a much more difficult time without their selfless moral and practical support. They were indeed friends in need.

The days when things were still going smoothly gave us wonderful glimpses into the beauty of spring in Alentejo and Extremadura, truly overwhelming. I wouldn't want to have missed the experience.

Knowing what we do now, we woudn't have embarked on the undertaking. We certainly had qualms before we left and were often on the verge of calling the whole thing off. However, if we had been cautious due to age (83 and 85) and health issues, we would probably have regretted eternally that we didn't give it a try. 

Lessons learned

I have to again think of the baciyelmo metaphor. As with Don Quijote's barbers basin/helmet, the so called baciyelmo, our trip was a merge of dreams and reality. We dreamed we could still do it, last year in France and Itlay had worked out perfectly. However, on this trip we learned to take the reality of our limitations more seriously. We had some bad luck, but were also very vulnerable so far from home. This experience enforced my feeling of thankfulness for our strong and well-functioning healthcare system in Germany. 

We have decided this was to be our last trip involving several days of travel by car. Not that we intend to scrap bicycle touring, there is still plenty that is within reach. But we need shorter stints by car and the safety net of dependable healthcare if needed.  

So that was it, folks, and many thanks for following our good days as well as our days of our trials and tribulations.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Tricia GrahamYou certainly did so very well coping with what must have been a very worrying situation. You are indeed fortunate living where you do with such wonderful cycling country at your doorstep
I hope you are back to full health now Suzanne
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Robyn RichardsI've enjoyed following your journey and was sorry to hear of its unexpected outcome. Will look forward to reading about your next tour, closer to home.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Scott AndersonEven with the collapse of your trip at the end, Rachael and I really valued the time we did manage to spend together. I’m not surprised that you’ve decided against any long drives like this in the future, and to be honest I was always a little worried about this one for you.

Your part of the continent is so easy to get around by train. We’ll have to find a way to nudge one of our tours in your direction soon.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe also think it is wise to limit your tours to areas closer to home so that you are within easier reach of assistance and health care, and don't need to subject yourselves to those long and tiring car journeys. Now all of us who want to see you will just have to plan part of our tours for the Munich region. It will not be a hardship for anyone, we are sure.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Bob DistelbergGlad to read that you’re back home safely after such a challenging trip. I hope your next (closer to home) trip has a bit more fun and a little less challenge! You and Janos are an inspiration!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThanks, Tricia! Yes, we do have so much at our doorstep.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Robyn RichardsThanks, Robyn! I'm looking forward to your upcoming tour, too.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonSo glad we had some time together. That would be great, of course, if one of your itineraries came closer to here.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesBavaria is worth it, looking forward to all CBers!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bob DistelbergThanks, Bob! Less challenge sounds good, and more fun can never hurt!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Bob DistelbergAgreed with your comments, Bob! We need to reach Europe instead of having these lovely people traveling so far!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Gregory GarceauYou've had a long run of successful tours, so there was bound to be a dud in there somewhere. Thank goodness your dud wasn't a total disaster; you weathered the challenges and the time you spent with the other Cycleblazers was rewarding for you, rewarding for them, and entertaining for us readers.

I look forward to reading about your future versions of "touring locally."
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonQuite right, Greg! We have had a lot of successful tours, we can't complain. That we are getting older is simply a reality that we have o factor in when planning future trips.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago