Two days inTrujillo - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2024 to April 24, 2024

Two days inTrujillo

April 23

The last paramedic I saw explained that there were many cases of intestinal infections going around. Maybe she knew what she was talking about when she said I should be patient, it will take three to five days. For whatever reasons, I am feeling so much better now, so much so that I don't expect a recurrence. 

Getting started on food again - that's tea, not black coffee!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We went out for a walk and some shopping for supplies for our little kitchen. It's a nice change not to have to rely on restaurant food and I'm almost having fun playing house in our minimalist studio apartment.

On our walk we saw these birders gathered around a tree. I don't know much about birds, but I do know something about birders.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Of course we asked them what was up there. It's a Eurasian scops owl.  Scops owls are on the small side, with yellow eyes and grayish-brown feathers. These little owls are solitary creatures, preferring to be on their own. I acted impressed and whipped out my phone to get a shot for Scott.

Picture from the Internet of course! Eurasian scops owl, he was so small and well comouflaged my naked eye couldn't even detect him among the branches.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI was really impressed at first at what a great shot you got.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonYou didn't believe me for a split second!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

That was the excitement for the day. Otherwise, plain rice and some journaling were on the agenda.

April 24

Another day and getting better and better. And another walk.

An interesting place for a mail box, I guess they don't get much mail.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I know you have seen a lot better pictures of this stork somewhere on this site.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking at the details today. Trujillo's Plaza Mayor is now filled with big white tents in anticipation of the cheese festival starting next week.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many buildings in need of financial support
Heart 5 Comment 0
Nice patina
Heart 4 Comment 0
With morning shadows and better cared for
Heart 4 Comment 0

We had originally planned to take a walk to the laundramat but as we were on our way out the door with our bundle of laundry we ran into our hostess, Karla, and told her we would be gone for a while if they wanted to clean the room (a service not offered in most rental studio apartments). Why are you going to the laundramat, she asked, we will do that for you, it's part of our service. I was more than amazed and we had our clothes back in the afternoon, dry and neatly folded.

You might be thinking by now that El Baciyelmo, as the place is called, must be a pretty pricey place. I think it is very moderate at 74 Euros. I will tell you more about the service we are getting. When we arrived, Herman and Karla didn't ask if we needed help, they simply took our bags out of our hands and brought them to our room. Bikes? No worry, they'll go in the courtyard garden. I didn't have to lift a finger and haven't seen our bikes since. Can I park your car for you, I know where it is allowed and also close. Here are two bottles (1.5 liters each) of water for you. Check in later, just make yourself comfortable in your room.

Karla is from Brazil and Herman from Holland, between them they speak many languages, including German. The rooms are in an old building in a quiet side street not far from the Plaza Mayor and there is a lovely garden that all guests are invited to use. The rooms have been carefully designed in view of aesthetics and functionality, simple, modern, in the kitchen nothing is superfluous, nothing is missing. Absolutely professional. And then the electronics, here you have to be on your toes. They have a door opener app, no physical keys that forgetful guests take with them. The app was a little confusing at first, but we have managed to get in and out all right so far. For hot water, you push a button and wait ten minutes so the pump doesn't have to run 24/7, a tremendous savings we were told. We have a microwave and a stovetop that isn't exactly intuitive but after some hit-and-miss we found the right places to touch and got the water boiled. As in most Spanish rooms I have been in, the floors are cool/cold ceramic tiles, nice in the summer but we are now having cold nights, around 7C. Here they have installed floor heating and of course they turned it on for us, without our asking. You can imagine how much I appreciated warmth when not feeling well.

We have now booked rooms for our drive home the day after tomorrow. We waited more or less until the last minute as we have had to cancel enough bookings with all our rescheduling, some refundable but not all.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonIt great to hear that you got out for a walk! I’m glad you have such a great place to stay! I hope your drive home goes well.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Keith KleinHi Suzanne,
Sorry to hear about your bout with the gastro. It got us earlier this year, and was no fun at all. Glad you are on the mend.
Cheers,
Keith and Sue
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinThanks, Keith and Sue. Happy to say it's history now.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago