Santa Marta de los Barros to Mérida - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2024

Santa Marta de los Barros to Mérida

For some reason the night was a restless one, I tossed and turned and didn't get much sleep at all but we didn't have a lot of kilometers to cover. In the morning I felt up to it.

Rachael, Scott and I cycled together while Janos drove the car.

Leaving Santa Marta and looking back
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of short but not easy rollers
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI love this photo you took of me!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Angela NaefGreat photo!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Bringing up the rear because he is always stopping to take pictures.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGreat one of Scott, also!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Angela NaefGreat photo!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Charmaine RuppoltI'm the type to stop and take a lot of pictures too - it's worth it!!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
A barren feeling, but mesmerizing
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching Solana de los Barros
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bike smelling the roses
Heart 7 Comment 0
Hoping this will be the last climb of the day
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bike wants shade
Heart 6 Comment 0

Entering  Mérida was not  straight forward. There were lots of traffic circles, bike lanes of short length, a park with muddy paths to be circumvented and finally in town cobbled streets, one-way streets, steep streets, and road construction. When we arrived I could check in with a door code that Janos - he had already checked in - had sent me. I rolled my bike right into our spacious room, while Rachael and Scott disappeared around the corner to the proper check-in desk. 

By the time we arrived, Janos had already found a bicycle shop. They diagnosed the problem and were hopeful that they could find the part that neded to be replaced. I found in internet that the parts of the hub are the hub shell, axle, bearings, end caps, rotor mount and driver body. One of those I guess. Neither of us knew the name in English or German. 

Susan had just arrived in Mérida, too, and soon the five of were seated around one table, the first time since our tour in Burgundy two years ago.

Heart 5 Comment 0

Janos and I easily spent the afternoon doing nothing except for a short stroll to the supermarket for food for the evening meal in our room.

Mérida amazes, wherever you look Roman vesitges.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Handy to have the bike so close
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 697 km (433 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0