Elvas to Alter do Chão - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2024

Elvas to Alter do Chão

Our B&B was on the ground floor, accessible through the courtyard. I conjecture it might have been a tool shed in earlier times and that the living quarters were upstairs. Now it is a simple but adequate B&B room,  and we always appreciate not having to climb stairs at the end of the day and having a safe place for our bikes. The only thing that was missing were windows. It was a pleasant surprise to open the door and see sunshine.

Our room is the door to the left.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The street where we were located
Heart 4 Comment 0
On my way to breakfast I saw this sweet peregrino donkey
Heart 9 Comment 0

After a pastry and breakfast beverages, I took a short walk to discover a little more of Elvas before we left.

Church doors, Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção
Heart 7 Comment 0
Detail, Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção
Heart 5 Comment 0
Wall
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from behind the church, Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Asssunção
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another wall detail that caught my eye
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rooftops and laundry
Heart 5 Comment 0
From the highest point in town, with the Castelo
Heart 2 Comment 0

 At a little past ten we were on our way. The sun was bright but the air was cool, and although the first climb was enough to work up a sweat, I had to wear a warm jacket the first hours of the day.

Leaving Elvas through its bright golden walls
Heart 8 Comment 0
The weather looks promising
Heart 4 Comment 0
Out the city gate, good bye Elvas, we enjoyed our visit.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We take a break at this little chapel and fountain at Barbacena.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Charming place for a rest in the sun, a bite to eat and a look for the best photo op's.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Susan framing her shot
Heart 4 Comment 0
Refreshed and again on our way through the green and hilly countryside.
Heart 5 Comment 0
It's either yellow trim or blue, turning even a simple wall into a treat for the eye.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Poppy time again!
Heart 6 Comment 0
They didn't run away when I approached with my camera, as most sheep and cattle have been doing. Susan suggested it is because they are used to people, while the sheep and cattle live wild in their vast pastures.
Heart 8 Comment 0

As you see, I have let the pictures tell the story of the day and won't delay the posting of this day with a lengthy text. I won't go into detail about how I spilled Janos's coffee all over the table when we stopped in Monforte or how Janos let the wind blow his bicycle shirt off the balcony into the sheep pen behind our hotel.

Today was the longest day Janos and I have ridden in a long time and Susan is still recovering from her cough. We all did well but were also knackered by the time we reached our hotel. Our bikes are parked and safe with a view to the sparkling swimming pool. Although we have no language in common, our host was able to convey in Portuguese that he would drive us to a restaurant at eight as we are a little outside of town. It wouldn't be too far and we could walk home. We took him up on his offer.

Our bikes have it good.
Heart 7 Comment 0
This is a spoiler. Susan will show you better pictures of her view from her room.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove pictures of sheep. :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 108 km (67 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Nancy GrahamSo much beautiful color in the towns, and the yellow in Elvas gives such a happy feeling. But a room without windows might feel a bit confining. I love the courtyard where your bikes slept.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonI’m so glad you’re getting enough decent weather to be enjoying this. Here’s hoping it keeps up!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonThe forecast looks good.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonI’m glad you had such a beautiful day! The photos are beautiful.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago