Alter do Chão to Castelo de Vide - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2024

Alter do Chão to Castelo de Vide

A beautiful, sunny day and not too many kilometers, the day looked promising. No need to start earlier than ten. I had us routed through town, hoping to get an impression of Alter do Chão since we were too tired yesterday to have a look. Today we got a very brief impression, and that was of its cobble stones. With Susan and Janos following me, I charged up a steep and roughly cobbled road. Midway Susan called, I'm not doing this! Meet you on the other side of the town. I figured it wasn't such a good idea either to use up our energy and batteries in the first half hour of the day and decided we should turn back and get on the flat and smooth road skirting Alter do Chão.  While we were debating which road to take, an elderly, friendly and  delightfully talkative woman stopped and asked if she could help. She spoke only Portuguese and we didn't understand much but we got the jist of it. No, she had never heard of there being a castelo in her town. But we should go to the royal stables. We got lengthy and detailed instructions how to get there and then went merrily on our way, hoping she didn't see that we didn't take the turnoff she recommended. We didn't realize we were missing the highlight of Alter do Chão. 

This heartwarming encounter made the ride up the cobbles worth the effort.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Only when doing a bit of research for this entry did I read: "It was the will of a king (King João V) that gave birth to what would become the mother house of the Lusitano thoroughbred horse in Portugal, the Alter Stud Farm (founded in 1748)."

 Today the landscape changed from the wide open spaces we had cycled through so far to a hillier terrain with fewer sheep and less cattle. The fields were enclosed with stone walls and as we got closer to our destination we saw fascinating outcroppings of rock and boulders in the fields.

Still enough cows to keep us happy. They are getting set to turn their backs on me and run.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Many occasions to stop for another shot
Heart 4 Comment 0
I haven't seen too many farm buildings. This one looks run down but I don't think it is abandoned.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Stone walls and more cork oaks
Heart 3 Comment 0
An abondoned bus shelter suggests a change in the infrastructure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we approach Castelo de Vide, perched on a hill, more views of yellow trim lending a special note to the landscape
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another bicycle portrait opportunity
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is so green at this time of year and we cross many streams cutting through the hills..
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today was short on kilometers but not on vertical meters. We had more or less a steady climb with some dips until we got to our hotel. As we got closer to Castelo de Vide, the road got steeper and boulders and rocky outcrops dominated the views. Not that I was going to stop too often for pictures on the ascent.

Stones like sleeping mamouths in the landscape
Heart 5 Comment 0
Intriguing granite formations
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Resting our legs before continuing the climb
Heart 6 Comment 0

As we expected, the tail end of the ride up to our B&B was near impossible - steep and cobbly. Then the comedy of errors began. 

I have been using the hotel addresses as listed in Booking.com for mapping our routes, but alas they are not always accurate. That was the first problem. The second was that Janos and I had different versions of the end of the  day's route, Susan had again another. To add to the confusion, and this was entirely my fault, I thought the three of us were staying at the same address, therefore the best idea would be to just follow Susan. I didn't even know the name of our lodgings. Add to the mix  we were all a bit exhausted from the climb. Susan contacted her host, and after a while got the code for a key box. We thought we would be upstairs from her and brought all our paraphernalia down the steep cobbles from where we were waiting and secured our bikes to the window grid. I wondered why the host wasn't answering me so we could get our key. Well, because we weren't booked there.

I know this is a lot of detail, but just to give you an idea of the contortions we went through before we were in our proper B&B. Janos thought this was all crazy and that we should be going somewhere else, except he didn't have the right address for our accommodation either.  A comedy of errors where no one was laughing. Eventually our host found us, our room was just around the corner. 

This was actually a short version of our odyssey. It was a lot of unnecessarily lugging our bags and bicycles up and down steep little streets, where if a car happened to come by you had to flatten yourself against the wall. 

This is Susan's street and as always, a lot steeper than it looks
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt definitely looks steep!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Susan trying to contact her host.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a relief to finally get settled in, our B&B was nicer than I could appreciate at the moment and we went out for an early dinner at a tapas bar/restaurant that Susan organized. She was still functioning a lot better than Janos and me. 

On our way to dinner
Heart 6 Comment 0
We pass Igreja de Santa Maria da Devesa, completed 1873
Heart 3 Comment 0
Igreja de Santa Maria da Devesa, a peek inside
Heart 6 Comment 0

After a short rest and shower, then a fine meal, ruffled feelings were mollified and all agreed it had been another great day, with a litle hiccup at the end. All's well that ends well.

L'heure bleue on our way home.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 155 km (96 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Nancy GrahamIt is those glitches that you will later laugh about, and that will always be a big part of remembering this trip! You all seem to have a good attitude once it was done and you were fed ;’-).
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonAre you trying to compete with us on mishaps! So sorry you had such a hard time but the photos from the ride are beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonYou’re right, Suzanne. There’s nothing at all funny in that B&B story. Rachael and I both feel badly for laughing so hard over it while waiting for our meal to arrive.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonI mentioned this to Susan, but whatever you do if you bike up to Marvao don’t take the road through Escusa: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2019/marvao-dd1/#18960_gxnlmwbgnekgcyi7yuagn9c4izb
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonI wasn't biking anywhere today.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gregory GarceauGood observation that a comedy of errors isn't necessarily funny. Even Shakespeare's "A Comedy of Errors" wasn't all that comedic. But I guarantee you, when you guys all get together in the future to reminisce--maybe as early as tomorrow--you'll be laughing about it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Charmaine RuppoltNo fun to be trying to figure out where your accommodations are at the end of the day! Gives meaning to "being on the same page"!!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago