Estremoz to Elvas - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2024

Estremoz to Elvas

Let the tour begin! But first we have to sort our our biking clothes from our car travel clothes, then dispose of the car someplace until we come back in two weeks. Then it's time for the departure picture of the three of us and we are rolling.

We're off, dressed for wind and weather.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesI love this so much.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

It's cold, we don't see the sun all day, and we have either cross winds or head winds - but it doesn't snow and it doesn't rain either. We never got around to looking at Estremoz, it just didn't fit into our schedule. Leaving after ten and hoping not to get the rain predicted for the late afternoon was good enough.

Looking back to Estremoz
Heart 5 Comment 0
We are on our way - Susan all smiles.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m glad she’s doing better!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

The country roads have almost no traffic and in spite of the cloud cover, I am loving the views of green hills and pastures, spring flowers, cattle and sheep.

Lots of wide open space
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dramatic cork oaks and horses
Heart 7 Comment 0
Vineyards of Borba - We drank the red last night and it was excellent.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Country roads
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of these white flowers blooming everywhere
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltRock rose. Lovely flowers!

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/76362-Cistus-ladanifer
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Wonderful views over the countryside, and I guess sun would make it even betterr.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAt least everything is green and Spring-like! :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Most of the cattle ran off when I approached - I was lucky here.
Heart 5 Comment 0

About midway we cycled off our route and up the hill to San Aleixo. Time for a break and a bite to eat. We got a couple of bananas and some cookies, enough to tide us over, and I had fun poking around the photogenic church for some pictures. 

Bicycle portrait with doors in San Aleixo, about half way on our ride
Heart 9 Comment 0
More bicycle portrait opportunity in San Aleixo
Heart 11 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove the colors in the pic! :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Church in San Aleixo
Heart 10 Comment 0
I couldn't resist another bicycle portrait.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janos blending in
Heart 8 Comment 0
Susan needs a breather - her cough isn't gone and the headwinds and hills are taxing.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The wind increased at noon and our route took a bend to the southeast from whence the wind was blowing. We didn't have a long day but it was enough for a starter.

Spring time in the Alentejo
Heart 4 Comment 0
Had to have a sheep picture, too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Entering Elvas
Heart 6 Comment 0
Elvas - we made it.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Kelly IniguezShould you need a bicycle shop, I think you were standing right in front of the Hobby Zone. I had my rim brake pads replaced for only 1.69E per set - what a bargain!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kelly IniguezGood to know although I hope we don't need any repairs!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonGreat job! The winds sure can be nasty.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like a tall multi-tiered aquaduct behind you all?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Praça da República in Elvas
Heart 8 Comment 0

We were happy not to get rained on and after a bit of fudging around Janos and I found our B&B, Susan had booked another place not far from us. 

Elvas looks like a place we want to explore but we were not good for much at the end of the day besides hanging out in our room and then going to dinner with Susan. And writing the journal. And now I am going to bed. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 47 km (29 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesMy finger is getting really fatigued again for liking all your wonderful photos, one after the other. Whew.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich HarrellGreat photos! The cork oaks are interesting.
Looking forward to seeing and learning more as you continue the tour.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonHi Rich! Thanks for reading!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago