Cáceres to Trujillo - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2024

Cáceres to Trujillo

Clear and sunny and freezing cold this morning. Looking at our planned route, Janos decided he preferred to take the low road while Susan and I cycled the high and longer road. This was our last day cycling together before we go our separate ways.

Getting ready under the arcades of the Plaza Mayor
Heart 6 Comment 0

The first 25 kilometers of the ride weren't particularly enjoyable. The road had no shoulder and the traffic was fast, although almost always extremely courteous, moving over to the other lane when passing. There wasn't much that was special and begging to be photographed on this stretch either, so we just pedaled.

I stopped for just one shot - not the road we are on.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pictures make things look better. A small town, Torreorgaz, bordering on the highway afforded me this shot.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I'm usually in the lead since with my e-bike I can take the uphills at a faster pace than Susan, so I get the shots as she is rolling in.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we got to Torremocha we could turn left and leave the busy road behind us. First we rode into the small town, looking for a bar for a morning snack. It was a simple place in what appeared to be a not too prospering comunity, but as always the people were friendly and eager to exchange a few words with us. Sometimes I understand them, sometimes I don't.

The next 20 kilometers on a quiet country road with almost no cars were stunning.

I am fascinated by the dry stone walls.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Expanses of yellow and purple
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI never get tired of the flowers! We are seeing a lot of this also!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Hills on the horizon, I think they are the Sierra Montsánchez
Heart 1 Comment 0
Perfect road for cycling
Heart 4 Comment 0
The gate is open! But there's still a cattle grid between us.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe grill in the opening is also known as a Canada gate, or sometimes a Wild Rooster, in the Netherlands, which is always good for a bit of a giggle from us.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
More dry stone walls
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pose, Susan!
Heart 7 Comment 0
They don't look that stable.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Photogenic creatures, but their behavior was almost catatonic. They didn't even flicker their ears.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There's a dog there, protecting the flock.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove the Poppies!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Eventually we had to leave the small country road and get on a busier connection that would get us to Trujillo. The traffic was okay and the scenery not quite as charming, but still made for a good ride

On the last 15 kilometers
Heart 1 Comment 0
I'm still finding reasons to stop.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Nancy GrahamNever lose those reasons to stop ;’-).
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Almost there
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Trujillo we are staying at a parador. "In Spain since 1928, a Parador is a state-owned luxury hotel, usually located in a converted historic building such as a monastery or castle..." (Wiki)

It was a steep climb up the last cobbled meters there. After registering, we walked our bikes down the last steep meters to the garage where they were stored for the night. Janos had already checked in a while ago, after enjoying his shorter ride on quiet but not as scenic roads.

We have arrived.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our room is spacious and comfortable, as it should be in a parador. Janos and I had booked half board, a good deal with the evening meal and breakfast included, and were curious what the evening meal would be like. I am still finding the Spanish menus confusing, not because I don't understand what the words mean but because it isn't always clear what is a starter or first course or second course or what size the servings will be. Susan took advantage of the quiet in our dining room to get some more information from our cheerful server. In a mix of Spanish and English we  got it more or less figured out. What we take to be starters are usually dishes meant to be shared, enough for two or three people. I could have done without a starter but it was part of the half-board menu. The dessert menu is always easy to understand.

We dine at our parador.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful place!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 358 km (222 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0