Aliseda to Cáceres - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2024

Aliseda to Cáceres

We didn't have many kilometers and were expecting a short and easy ride. That was without taking the weather into account. Rain was predicted and we hoped we might by chance be able to catch a dry window. As the weather forecast kept changing, it was hard to say when that was going to be. We set out under grey clouds, that was good enough. The road was straight and not too interesting but Susan had suggested a short detour to the Natural Monument Los Barruecos in Malpartida before we reached our destination. The pictures from the internet looked enticing and I was sure it was going to be worth it - if it wasn't raining.

The garbage bins don't get the point across. I wanted to show the blossoming orange tree which was overwhelmingly fragant.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today's long, straight road, and the sun peeked out for a brief second or two
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat shot! What an enticing road.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
There wasn't too much to take pictures of, but fields of wild flowers aren't to be taken for granted.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretOr a beautiful cloud sky!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
About the only "thing" on our route, not really picture worthy
Heart 5 Comment 3
Scott AndersonInteresting, especially since you also caught a stork or crane in the frame.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Charmaine RuppoltWhat is the picture of? A building/tower?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltA ruin, who knows.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

About midway it started to sprinkle, and then it more than sprinkled. I got out my rain jacket and put away my camera. When we reached Malpartida we ducked into the first cafe/bar we found. It was warm, dry and a table was free. Saved for the time being. Coffee, hot chocolate, tostadas with cheese hit the spot while outside it began to pour. 

This place was waiting for us.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Scott AndersonOoh. I love this kind of place.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonGreat place to get out of the rain.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretThe customer looking at his bill appears to be thinking “I paid HOW much?” ;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Happy
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonVery interesting expression on Susan’s face!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

The rain let up and we got going. Maybe we could get to our hotel without getting soaked? Janos more or less made a dash for the hotel while Susan and I risked the few extra kilometers to get a look at Los Barruecos. It was worth it although we didn't really get to see the more impressive parts of the park. We didn't want to take the time to explore the sandy paths that led to the lakes and fantastic stone formations that I had seen pictures of. But we were happy for a few peaceful kilometers on the small roads.

Stork colony
Heart 6 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonWhat a great spot! I love all the stork nests. I can’t wait until we see some storks!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Charmaine RuppoltOMG!! Look at all those stork nests!! How come there are so many and they look sort of man-made (the poles)?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltYes, kind of an invitation to attract the storcs. Good for the environment.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Getting up close to these awesome stones
Heart 4 Comment 0
A couple of hours on foot on sandy paths would have been the best way to explore.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our route back took us through a bit of commercial zone, something we have hardly seen at all on all the days of our trip.

Storks taking advantage of some industrial structure for their nests, and I think they are always welcomed.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We had to cycle through a bit of a sprawl approaching Cáceres. Oh look, we are cycling right past a Decathlon branch. I have been sorely missing the wind jacket that I forgot to pack. The wind has been going through all my layers and my rain jacket is just too hot . We popped in and within a few minutes I found what I was looking for - a high viz, light weight, inexpensive wind breaker. That was fun!

Selfie in the store window
Heart 9 Comment 1
Nancy GrahamI am often so happy to have forgotten something when on a trip of any kind, but especially so when cycling. You get to shop for a needed item i a strange town, meet someone interesting, and have a souvenir that will be useful and will bring memories.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

When we got to Cáceres Susan and I both followed our own routes, easier than trying to keep an eye on each other when winding through city streets with traffic. Although I got to the destination, I still didn't see the hotel. Good to hear Susan call out, hey we're over here.

The sun came out in the evenig for a stroll and pictures in Cáceres' old town, a random bunch of shots with my phone.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetHmm. Why is he standing on an open book and why do people rub his toes?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Jacquie GaudetNo idea why he is standing on a book. I think his toes just looked like they wanted to be rubbed.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretGolden toes are from devotees who rub the toes for good luck or as a sign of respect. He is the patron saint of Extremadura. I was surprised to learn this is a self portrait of the sculptor made only in 1954! That’s too “new” ..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Karen PoretThank you for the information, Karen!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful place!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 296 km (184 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0