Alburquerque to Aliseda - Spring in Iberia - CycleBlaze

April 7, 2024

Alburquerque to Aliseda

The bed in the apartment was terrible and both Janos and I got very little sleep. When I finally got to sleep, around dawn I think, I didn't wake up until nine. And because of the time change from Portugal to Spain, I thought it was eight. Susan was all ready to go out for breakfast at the agreed 8:30 and was wondering why we didn't appear. We got a hustle on and were soon out the door. 

Morning view from our room
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNothing worse than an uncomfortable bed! :/
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Our courtyard where the bicycles slept
Heart 3 Comment 0

On this Sunday morning the town was full of life with loudspeakers, music, a bandstand, and crowds of people anticipating the walking-running-cycling triathlon that was about to start. There was a big turnout of spectators and participants, a lot of excitement, a big event in a small town. 

Last night we saw a churreria shop and were happy to see it was open this morning for a breakfast of churros and hot chocolate. It was a tiny place and we got to see up close the preparation of fresh churros.

The battter is pressed into a cauldron of boiling oil.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesFood of the goddesses
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Then formed into a spiral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here the individual portions are being cut.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretIntestines! Destined just for that part of the body, too..;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Traditionally you dunk them in your hot chocolate. Some people still need a coffee fix, too.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A selfie of Janos and me before we leave town. You have to look carefully to see us.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe would know you anywhere.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's route, although again through beautiful terrain, wasn't as varied as yesterday's. Vast expanses of green in all directions, stony fields and again miriads of wild flowers characterized the ride.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Janos is getting his drone set up for flight.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fields strewn with boulders
Heart 3 Comment 0
And dotted with sheep.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wild lavender abounds.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I think I posted this yesterday by mistake, so here it is again, on the right day.
Heart 11 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou can never have too many lavender photos.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
I wonder how much water there is in the summer when it gets hot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
A change in the color scheme comes when we approach Aliseda and its red earth.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some curves in the road when we are almost in Aliseda.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Too early to check in, we found a bar that served food and drink and watched the families with their children, all dressed in their Sunday best, out for a Sunday meal or just a drink and tapas. The main activity wasn't eating but socializing while the children romped up and down stairs and around the fountain. 

Our hotel, Tierra Roja, was exceptional. Why don't I have any pictures? It had been decorated with great care, was immaculate, had GOOD beds and a helpful and friendly host.  We slept well.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 257 km (160 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonBeautiful scenery!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago