Theodore Roosevelt National Park - PedalPushin “The Final Two” 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Today started ugly outside our window. It had rained for some time during the night and we woke to temperatures in the low 50’s, high humidity, 15-20 mph winds, and dense smoke from the Canadian wildfires. What to do?

Warmer with lingering smoke
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

So, the morning started slowly in hopes that conditions would improve and we finally left for our daily cycling after 10:00. Theodore Roosevelt National Park was our destination as I had picked this ride a long time ago with the hope that we could cycle with some buffalo aka bison. 

Prairie dogs everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wild horses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cycling with bison
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately the smoke didn’t really clear but the temperatures got in the high 60’s and the wind slowed a bit. Once we got cycling we were treated to wild horses and bison, several groups of bison until we reached 6 miles into our ride. At this point a herd of about 30 bison had simply decided the road was their private walkway and they wouldn’t yield the road to the traffic let alone us. After spending 45 minutes to go .3 miles, we decided to turn around as the road ahead didn’t look like it had a place for them to wander off. So, yes we did cycle with bison but not through them. 

Can’t go through, can’t go around them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After returning to our rental we rode on a short bit to see another herd of bison who had taken over a large pasture at a riding stable. Someone had left the gates open and the bison decided why not. 

Despite the low miles, we had a good ride today and are now looking forward to Montana, state #50!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 207 miles (333 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0