Bismarck Trails and the Enchanted Highway - PedalPushin “The Final Two” 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2023

Bismarck Trails and the Enchanted Highway

Despite the lack of “trails” in North Dakota we are finding that the various towns and cities have quite a network of bike paths and on the road bike lanes. Guess we’ve been in Alaska for such a long time where those really don’t exist that we get a little excited when we find them. 

City cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0
Missouri River crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge memorial to WWI
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trailside sculpture
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bismarck proved to be a quite enjoyable “urban” ride. We started on an actual trail which then led to neighborhood streets which led to green belts and parks which then led to another trail. We were able to cross the Missouri River twice on dedicated bike lanes before ending our ride. We also were able to ride a short distance on the Lewis and Clark Trail where we would have ridden years ago before South Dakota’s wind stopped our forward movement.  As for highlights?  It was an urban ride so a few sculptures and murals along the way. 

Lewis and Clark keelboat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking further west
Heart 0 Comment 0

The true highlight of the day came quite by accident. As we were approaching Dickinson we saw some roadside sculptures regarding the Enchanted Highway. After a bit of research we found that a local artist had begun creating massive metal sculptures from junk metal and placing them along this roadside. Geese in Flight is a 105 high structure at the intersection of I-94 and the road to Lefor. Simply massive!

Geese in Flight
Heart 0 Comment 2
Lisa MitchellCan you see Lisa in the picture? That just shows you how massive this sculpture is.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Lisa MitchellI’m glad you pointed that out. Good job giving perspective!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Grasshoppers in the Field
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fishermen’s Dream
Heart 0 Comment 0

So, as we still had daylight, we decided to drive down a few sculptures and then ride a section of the road to the next sculpture. Deer Crossing led to Grasshoppers in the Field were got on the trikes and rode to Fisherman’s Dream. At that point I looked at the sky and saw we had a dilemma as a major thunderstorm was in front of us and another one was behind us. We opted to head back to the van in hopes of threading the needle and were quite happy when we did. The rain started within minutes of our return. Soaking adverted!

Hmmm
Heart 1 Comment 2
Larry MitchellTo Scott AndersonLove the pictures but don’t really like the experience. Got caught by a tornado in Kansas a long time ago. It avoided the town but completely destroyed miles of fields where I had been cycling a few hours before.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Slowing down to let this pass in front of us
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storm chasing in North Dakota
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 192 miles (309 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0