Our stay in Limburg continues - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

Our stay in Limburg continues

The dilemma….wait for a bike part or head out?


We are staying at the Dom Hotel in Limburg, a lovely, elegantly appointed  property in the historic centre. We have loved staying here…it has a great location, impeccable service plus a great view of Limburg Cathedral and historic buildings from our room,  As our tandem remains in the shop (10 days and counting), it works for us to stay in the historic centre….we can wander as we like.  Everyday we cross our fingers (and toes!) with the hope that parts will arrive. As well, we phone/or visit the bike shop.  Two nights at The Dom  have turned into three. We would have continued to stay on here, but a sharp increase of rates  with the arrival of the weekend encouraged us to move on.   We will be moving to a traditional German guesthouse in the next village of Diez for at least one night while we regroup and figure out how to proceed.

While I pack up and move out of the hotel, Barry has walked to the bike shop to pay for the work that has been done, collect the parts that have arrived and retrieve our tandem so that we can get to the next hotel. However, missing an important part for our bike (Bafang motor chainring) makes our next move complicated since we have no idea how long we will have to wait for it to arrive. And most importantly,  the necessary work can only be done once we have all of those parts in our possession.
Our first thought is to get on the road, have the missing part sent to us and find a bike shop when we need it. However, as I write this, something extraordinary has just happened.   The Bike Shop has sourced the part from a different place and it “should” arrive Wednesday. So, we will see what the next few days may bring, but our thought now is to just stay put and wait for Wednesday. The trip, albeit delayed for over 2 weeks at this point, will be more enjoyable if we can begin with a repaired bike, rather than anticipating breakdown. 

The Pub which we have visited before with Cora, is conveniently located next door to our hotel. We treated ourselves to 2 “perfectly pulled pints” of Weissen (wheat beer) for Barry and an unfiltered Pils for Mary Ellen. This is an auspicious moment for us, as we will be returning to alcohol frei beverages, with the occasional exception.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old, popular pub is full of character.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry, a happy returning patron of this fine establishment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry’s meal…
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen enjoyed her potato casserole with cheese, meat and applesauce.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bench outside the pub…it looks inviting but we have never seen anyone sitting there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made the trek to Meuer bike shop to pick up Seavo and confirm that we would like an appointment Wednesday to instal the various parts to get our tandem on the road. Not to be a doubter, but all of this hinges on the Bafang part arriving.🥴
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo is happy. We have broken him out of his exile at the bike shop. We are eager to get on our tandem, pick up our bags annd trailer from The Dom and ride to our next hotel, Wilhelm von Nassau in Diez. Looking forward to our stay in a traditional German hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretIMHO this is the shop all will be fixed! Why? It is # 167 which was my house number growing up :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
As we were checking out we met this very excitable puppy. They have only had him for a few weeks, but you can see the dog will be a lovely pet. It was magical, as I stroked under his chin I seemed to have found his sweet spot. The dog suddenly relaxed, closed his eyes and pressed his body tight to my legs….the picture of doggy bliss.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This photo was taken before he calmed down. I was giving the woman our business card so that she could see her dog on our journal. It is hard to imagine that this lovely dog was rescued weeks ago from a garbage dump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the Metzgerei…pulled pork on a fresh bun. A Metzgerei is a fabulous place to get freshly prepared food….the quality is always good at these Butcher Shops.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Visiting in the spring has many benefits…fewer tourists, cooler weather and fresh locally grown spargel!…. white, green and purple.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetIt looks so different than the stuff we get in BC—referring mostly to the green asparagus, since white is rare and I’d never heard of purple until just now.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Enjoying the final moments of the sunset from our room at the Wilhelm Von Fass Nassau. Guten Nacht.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0