A day trip to explore Diez with Seavo - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

A day trip to explore Diez with Seavo

We are comfortably situated at Wilhelm von Nassau.  This traditional, cosy Hotel with hospitable staff  has made us feel at home. Like most traditional inns, there is a restaurant which serves house made, German food, which we love. Breakfasts feature an extensive buffet which we have been enjoying every morning.  We are fortunate to have discovered this place when we decided to move on from The Dom. We also like that is located adjacent to a park with an outlook that feels rural.  

A hidden gem just a few km from Limburg. Most days, the hotel hosts a bus load who stay for the night. As of yet, there have been no foreigners here, except for us. Like seeing the solar panels on the roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It keeps getting better, this Hotel is member of the bett & bike association. In our experience, this ensures that all care will be given to our needs as cyclists, and more importantly, appropriate storage for our bike. When they saw our tandem, they immediately ushered us in to the hotel with Seavo and gave him an empty conference room for his stay. Bett & Bike is such a good thing
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beer garden, restaurant and a sauna onsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A glimpse of the breakfast buffet with two dining rooms. Both rooms are needed as this small hotel is full most mornings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went for a lovely ride to explore Diez and the surrounding area. Like Limburg, Diez has some lovely half timbered buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sobering yet meaningful to read the history of the life of Jews in Diez. The first accounting was from the early 14th century when a plague hit Diez and the Jew were accused of being responsible for the outbreak… they were expelled.They returned 400 years later but were forced to pay regular special payments as a penalty. Ultimately the emergence of anti-Semitic fervour in the 1930’s forced them to flee or they were sent to Concentration camps. Their cemetery, children’s school, synagogue etc were completely destroyed. In the 1960’s, students in Diez combed the Lahn River and retrieved some of the cemetery stones that had been dumped in the river in the 1930’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking the quiet streets of Diez with a glimpse of the castle overhead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This frieze shows Countess Sophie Hedwig who ruled the city and county of Diez during the 30 Years War. Her husband was in the Netherlands fighting. She is renowned for saving Diez and its people from destruction by the Spanish troops. She disarmed the Spanish leaders and forces by inviting all to a lavish banquet. Her hospitality reaped rewards and the potential conquerors moved on and left them in peace. She continues to be a beloved figure in the history of Diez.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Diez is a quieter, smaller place than Limburg but we are equally enjoying its historic beauty and charm.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have made it to the Lahn River which passes through Diez. We can’t wait for our bike to be fixed so that we can join others who are riding this route (the paved path alongside the river)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lahn River route is a familiar route for us, from several years past, as well as for Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lovely Lahn River…it is quite high this year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Perhaps it is because we have been away from Europe for the past five years, but we seem to be seeing the beauty of these towns with fresh eyes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love the asymmetric character of these buildings..a testament to their centuries of existence.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Signage for cyclists is superb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were two of these statues by the bridge over the Lahn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had lunch here at Nassauer Hof in the heart of Diez. An Armenian family have bought this restaurant and have settled here. They offer Armenian and German food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a yummy German meal. Chicken breast with a mushroom sauce and cheese melted over it with roast potatoes and salad…delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry had bratwurst with currywurt sauce and sweet potato fries.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 40 km (25 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0