Seavo is coming home - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 7, 2024

Seavo is coming home

 It has been 5 years since we have travelled in Europe and toured on Seavo, our e-tandem recumbent.  After our last pre-Covid trip in Europe in 2019, we planned to return the following spring and had booked our flights to Lisbon intending to ride from Portugal to our friends’ farm near Limburg on the Lahn.  However, Covid changed that. Seavo has subsequently spent the past five years enjoying the hospitality offered by our friends in Germany.  It is time to bring Seavo home.

Seavo has been our reliable ride and touring partner for over 12 years….oh, the stories Seavo could tell.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Roland RutzHow did you manage to get your e-tandem with battery included in the plane? As far as I know, it is not permitted to take batteries on board of a plane.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Barry BartlettHi Roland,
We leave our tandem in Germany with friends. For our first few trips to Europe we brought our tandem with us and we had not converted the tandem to pedal assist. But after a number of trips over the Alps and the Appenine Mountains in Italy with a fully loaded tandem we decided that it was time to do an electric conversion. We found a German company
that installed a Bafang motor on our tandem. The battery and tandem stays in Germany with our friends. On future trips with our tandem we will fly with our LIGO batteries that we bought from Grin Technologies in Vancouver. LIGO batteries are the only bike batteries that you can legally fly with. For our two trips to Japan we bought two Shimano batteries from a recumbent shop in Osaka for our recumbent trikes. The batteries stay in Japan at the shop for our next trip to Japan.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

 Being home bound during the Pandemic,  we treated ourselves to new Azub folding e-trikes and kept in shape (and sane) riding around our home island of Saltspring Island. We kept busy, riding over 3000 km on our small island.  For us, it was a good way to cope with the restrictions of the Pandemic and have fun as well. The only explanation we can offer about this experience of riding trikes is that we feel like kids on go carts.

In Japan last year with our trikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We loved travelling in Japan last year for six months over 2 trips  and we will return (hopefully in the fall). Nonetheless, we are really looking forward to revisiting our first love…Europe.   We are excited to explore some new territory in countries we know and love…Germany, France, Belgium and Holland.   A few highlights of this trip will be riding the Moselle to its source near the Swiss/French border and then following the Meuse River Cycle Route to Rotterdam.  As always, plans can change as we travel, but for now, this is the plan.

We are keen to get back to Germany, visit our friends and bring Seavo out of retirement. We look forward to revisiting the  incredible cycling infrastructure Europe offers, the beautiful historic villages and towns,  the bakeries, Italian Eis (ice cream) in Germany, perfectly pulled pints of local beer and great food. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, we will follow along as usual. We have one month left ourselves, here in France.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich FrasierNice! A new Bartlett journal to follow!!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago