The Routes - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2024

The Routes

We love to plan and find routes to ride. We are excited to revisit Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands and explore new country on these routes. Nonetheless, the best laid plans are often not what we end up doing as we invariably will see a different way to go or a place of interest we hadn’t considered. Either way it will be a great adventure with lots of great food, interesting people to meet, beautiful things to see and memories to savour. Here is a brief look at the routes we are planning to follow.

The Lahn River Route….our journey begins about 25 km north of the Lahn River at our friends farm and then we continue our ride on the Lahn River at the beautiful historic town of Limburg an der Lahn. (This route is roughly the purple line, a bit south of Weilburg, and the brown section)
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are very familiar with the Lahn River route due to having friends who live in this area. Surprisingly, this well loved route is not well known by foreign travellers.   The Lahn River route is roughly 245 km long and is a tributary of the Rhine River. Along the route you are rewarded with quaint historic towns, many locks and beautiful scenery. Much of our ride will be directly alongside the river. The German Bicycle Organization rates this route 4/5 stars. 

At Koblenz, on the Rhine, we will follow the Moselle River to its source, just north of Switzerland. We have ridden the section from Koblenz to Trier and it is spectacular. The rest of the route south will be new country for us,
Heart 0 Comment 0
With a bit of overland riding (or perhaps a train), we will then carry on with our third river route, The Meuse, which will take us to Rotterdam. It sounds like a beautiful route, newly developed and is known as Eurovelo 19. When we finish this route, we will explore as much of the Netherlands as we can.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0