Leaving the farm for the bright lights of the city - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2024

Leaving the farm for the bright lights of the city

It has been a challenging few days for us. Mary Ellen has been quite sick with a cold and the usual respiratory issues, but the real problem has been Barry. He woke up in the night unable to turn his neck and was in much pain.   Barry has a back condition and we were concerned it was related. We made an appt. with a local doctor, registered a claim with our insurer  BCAA, but with help from the Reitz son (a doctor), he was able to find drugs that could help him without interfering with his heart meds.  Lots of rest, heat and meds did the trick. So, the good news is that we are now able to head out tomorrow. 

All of Germany has  a holiday tomorrow on Wednesday, which means Georg doesn’t have to make the trek to Bonn on his bike. He and Cora are going to take advantage of this and have a mini break through the w/e with Georg taking Thursday and Friday off as well. When we realized that they had this opportunity, we booked a hotel in Limburg so that they could head out. The good thing is that we get to stay few days in Limburg, plus we will be closer to our tandem, which remains at the bike shop awaiting parts. Now, our tandem…that is the most frustrating part. Since we arrived, we have not been able to ride our tandem and have been stranded without transport or independence. We are anxious to get on the road, but as the expression goes “you can’t rush progress”.

All of the parts needed have arrived at the bike shop, except for one key (and very small) part. This means the work is at a standstill and nothing can happen until the final piece is received. We are 🤞that the part will arrive when we check out of our hotel, otherwise we will have to continue to stay in Limburg. The other option is that we ride on without repairs and carry the parts we have, but the reality is that our bike will break down at some point. So, here’s hoping!

Meanwhile , we are staying at the Dom Hotel in Limburg. It is set in the midst of the old town and it is a great property with character and comfort.

We say farewell to our friends and hosts, Georg and Cora, as well as Georg’s mom, Berthe…88 years young.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Well, we certainly feel underdressed…but when you go to town, you do need to make an effort!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou still want to retain anonymity, though.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
There is a wonderful symmetry to this moment. When we first visited the Reitz family, many years ago, we came to this family run bakery cafe and now, on our final visit, we have returned for coffee and cake. This cafe never disappoints.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry’s milk coffee and we shared a piece of cappuccino cake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wonderful history details on the menu. We bought two of these Limburger Sacker treats to have in our room….so delicious. The shortcrust butter pastry was exceptional, as well as the Merano apples.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cafe Will has been run continuously since the 1880’s by the same family. Today the fifth generation is continuing the tradition and all its deliciousness. We were served by the wife (blonde woman) of the 5th generation son and in time, their son and his wife…pictured to the right, will continue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Such happiness from these young girls outside Cafe Will, some generations ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Delivering freshly baked bread to the elephants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The genes of a baker have been passed down to their son Alexander…it looks like Cafe Will is heading towards another successful passing of the torch to the younger generation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wall of Cakes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wednesday is a holiday called Workers Day. This parade of workers, complete with a small marching band are proudly walking the streets of Limburg.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesMay 1, workers day, like our Labour Day but people seem more into it in Europe.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Booths representing teachers, anti fascists, autism, etc were there as well as great food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Indeed! Barry is proud of his profession and is now a happy retired teacher.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had lunch at the rally. Immigrants from Turkey made this delicious meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A girl and her happy puppy out for a ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Encountered this lovely dog - gentle and curious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Details that caught our eye wandering around Limburg.Since 1527, the Zum Goldenen Adler Hersch (translates: to the golden deer) operated as an Inn on the Korn Market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is a learning curve for us to understand the hours that pubs serve food and when things close. Everything we tried was closed, until we remember that Italian restaurants are open more hours. We enjoyed sharing a pizza at this small restaurant. Somehow the server brought Barry an alcohol free beer without asking. How did he know?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Below are photos of The Seven Deadly Sins which are represented by the carved figures mounted on the wall outside a bakery.  Built in 1567, the House of the Seven Deadly Sins has seven grotesque faces carved into the beams, representing  the 7 Deadly sins in Christianity: pride, envy, greed, lust, gluttony , wrath and sloth.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretVery informative, interesting, and fun! Danke!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago