A sunny day touring Limburg an der Lahn - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2024

A sunny day touring Limburg an der Lahn

The beautifully restored medieval city of Limburg an der Lahn is one of the treasures in Europe we love to visit. In many ways, it has become like home base for us due to its proximity to  where we stay on the farm. Like the lovely Lahn River Cycling Route, Limburg is very popular with Germans and parts of Europe, but somehow, word of this special place has not reached non European travellers.  The half timber buildings, often with slate roofs or decorative slate tiles are beautiful. There is much to see in Limburg. 

The main hot meal of the day is at midday, with a cold meal of an assortment of bread, cheese, meat, pickles etc in the evening. Pictured here is Clara having lunch. It is great to catch up with her and hear what she has been doing the past 5 years. In the interim, she has graduated from University, completed an international exchange in Sweden and is working on her Master’s thesis. We are very proud of her and her accomplishments.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cora has a busy day ahead on the farm. She dropped us off in Limburg so,that we could take our time exploring Limburg on foot. We appreciate that as we would normally ride our bike, but sadly Seavo remains in the shop.😿 It is Saturday and much is happening in Limburg. There is a festive air and the sun is shining.  There is an extensive market as well as a whisky festival. We finally asked a group why they had leather fobs around their necks with a small drinking glass attached.   They explained that throughout the core of Limburg, there are large tents hosting the festival.

When you see colourfully painted eggs in the shop or at the market, you know the eggs are hard boiled and ready for eating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
German people love meat and the quality is always good. Most food trucks like this sell the meat to take away or they will prepare ready to eat buns if you wish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On this sunny Saturday, people were out ready to enjoy the day. Trucks like this offer delicious food like curry wurst….delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the day with a couple of “lucky cows”, perhaps with a touch of the Irish in them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, the selection of cheese is remarkable. One eats well with the takings from this market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This small traditional pub in Limburg has been a favourite place for us for a perfectly pulled pint of local beer and a traditional German meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the historic core of Limburg is car free - pedestrians and bikes only are allowed.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The old town of Limburg has one of the best preserved historic sites in the region. The town is home to many half-timbered houses built in the 17th and 18th centuries with some back to the 13th century. The oldest free standing house in Germany can be found in Limburg. It was built in 1289 and remains standing and preserved.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These lovely historic half timbered buildings have stood the test of time. When looking at them closely, the passage of time is revealed in straight lines becoming curved and irregular and the rounded edges. This just adds to the charm.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Translation: Chakalaka Dip to try today. This tasty spicy dip made of bean, vegetables etc comes from Africa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is sunny but there is a cold wind…thank goodness for our Japanese down lightweight jackets…for us, a travel necessity. We discovered this charming art shop filled with charming creations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Baked goods and breads are always good here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Businesses like this bakery have been here for centuries. Their standard and creativity remains very high. We have had cake and coffee at this cafe before…so good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this display of chickens and thought of our friend Holly at home. She would love these.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can’t beat ducks who are dressed for success and the occasion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
“Beer to go”. Most people ride e-bikes, but not often with a beer alongside. Hopefully he makes it home in a straight line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional German clothing is still used for special occasions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Limburg an der Lahn is distinguished by its incredible half timbered homes. It has the most preserved concentration of buildings like this in Germany. In our experience, Limburg is well worth a visit.

Things may not “end” well for these two fellas.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Aahhh, Italian Eis in Germany is so delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Germany has been enriched by the immigration of Italians as they brought their expertise in pizza and pasta. And for us, the delicious house made Italian ice cream is incredible. Every city, village here have Eis Cafes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
An insect house
Heart 1 Comment 0
Limburg Cathedral. This church occupies a commanding presence up a hill and is a landmark from afar. Construction began in 920. It is considered to be one of the finest examples of late Roma sequences architecture. From 1960 to 1989, an image of the cathedral appeared on the 1000 Deutsche Mark note.
Heart 1 Comment 0
“Kaffee gros bitte”…bakeries make a lovely strong cup of coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretYou fit right in with your cheery blouse! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
A slice of Hazelnut torte for 2
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back at the farm and their beloved Eichel tractors.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Future wood for the furnace- much work to do…bucking it up, splitting and putting them into a circular package.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remember we showed you Emma, the amazing wood furnace the Reitz family have installed? Well, this is some of the wood rounds that they have prepared. Their field of fire wood will last for several years. Forgot to mention that they have also installed a pellet stove for an alternate source when needed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As always, the girls come out to greet us when we return.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
These girls live a charmed life.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Germany has responded to a need for dealcoholized beer and the result is very good. We loved this lemony Radler. Radlers are so named as it means a bike rider, and the alcohol has always been lower in alcohol content. This 0% alcohol is new to us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretThank you for this lovely tour! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago