It’s a waiting game for our tandem to be road ready - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

It’s a waiting game for our tandem to be road ready

Spring in Germany means fresh spargel…white asparagus. It is one of the many things we love about travelling in Germany this time of year.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOMG - - I LOVE SPARGEL!!! :) :) :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Spargel with a yummy sauce, potatoes and chicken.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There are two breeds of sheep, known affectionately as the “girls”, who live a privileged life on the Reitz farm. They have no value in terms of their wool or meat, however, their personalities and watchful presence add a wonderful character to the farm. They love affection, wander as a group grazing endlessly, always keeping a curious eye on our activities. In short, they have a great life with a cosy barn at their disposal, with lots to eat…it seems to us that they define a stress free life.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This photo features the very impressive and efficient wood burner/furnace that has an extraordinary ability to heat large areas as well as the water in their home.. The firewood is loaded on the side and Cora is adjusting the logs before lighting the furnace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Hargassner Furnace comes from Switzerland. As you can imagine, the process of building a structure to house it and the logistics of reconfiguring their heating source required much research. So, Georg and his son Justus did a road trip to the factory in Switzerland and did a tour to help them make an informed decision. 

But before lighting the furnace, which they have nicknamed “Emma”, Georg has some cleaning to do. This process needs to be done every two weeks and conveniently, there is also an app that reminds them that it is time to clean the area where Georg is extracting the coiled metal pieces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The process is quick and uncomplicated. The metal brush is attached to their drill and with a series of “in and out” motions the area is clean. As well, by simply tapping the coiled pieces on the ground, the build up drops off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The large entry is big enough for the tractor to be driven in with loads of firewood. The firewood is rolled into a circular shape and held together with rope. The circular metal object in the right foreground is where the bundle is created.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have also done a huge solar installation both on their home and the other house on their property which they rent. As a result of some sunny weather, the furnace wasn’t needed as the solar panels were able to heat both homes and the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The German government has implemented incentives to encourage people to instal alternate sources of energy from traditional methods such as oil. Solar provides their electricity. Any solar energy that is surplus to their requirements is sold to the electricity company. A win win for all. Solar energy is widespread throughout Germany and they also lead the way in Europe in being nuclear free.

Georg is an avid short wave radio operator. The huge antenna ensures that he has good reception and range He has a passion for connecting with people all over the world and is proficient at Morse code.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Germany has separate stores for beverages (with alcohol and without) and groceries…. Barry and I went for a walk to explore the village and buy some non-alcoholic beer. The quality is very good and there are so many options compared to 5 years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a bag on wheels that was made for our tandem. We have bundled it up to send it on to the place where we have booked to stay close to Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. When it is not compressed, it resembles a huge tuba bag. Angletech Bikes in Colorado sells this bag.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretVery informative entry ! Thank you for it all; nice to learn and be entertained at the same time..:)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago