Just around Bordeaux - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2010

Just around Bordeaux

WEATHER: MOSTLY SUNNY

After breakfast we headed to the gare to catch a train to Pauillac so that we could cycle back to Bordeaux through the Medoc wine region, but the train was canceled because of la grève (the strike). We decided to cycle in that direction, but took a wrong turn and ended up going for 47 km to a place that looked suspiciously like nowhere and back. Mostly on good bike paths, but near the highway and through industrial areas, so not very scenic. Once back in Bordeaux, we had lunch at a different restaurant in the St. Pierre square--Le Grillade St. Pierre--outside in the sun: an excellent seafood salad, then calamari in a tomato sauce, the tarte au citron (not so good) with a glass each of vin rouge.

Lunch in the square St. Pierre.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we cycled across the Pont Pierre along the river a ways to a botanical garden, then returned across the bridge and rode along the quai as far as we could through a newly renovated shopping area. By this time it was late afternoon, so we headed back to Cosy Corner for a rest, before a glass of wine and a nice chat with Geneviève and Thierry. We practised our French and managed pretty well. (They were extremely gracious and spoke extra clearly.)

The Pont Pierre crossing the Garonne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden by the walk/bike way along the quai.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 77 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0