Train and cycle to Dune du Pyla - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2010

Train and cycle to Dune du Pyla

WEATHER: SUNNY

A wonderful day. We slept really well and didn't wake up until 8:50. After breakfast we set off for the train station on our bikes and got there a bit too late to catch the 10:40 to Arcachon. Caught the 11:40 instead and arrived in Arcachon about 12:30. Arcachon was much nicer than we expected. It's a beachfront holiday town, but there were hardly any tourists this time of year. Beautiful warm sunshine. We picked up some baguette sandwiches and set off for the Dune du Pyla, the largest sand dune in Europe and a UNESCO Heritage Site, about 12 km south on a lovely bike path.

Bikes on the train to Arcachon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the waterfront (Atlantic Ocean) in Arcachon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Parts of the path went along the seashore, other parts through upscale residential areas with Mediterranean plants and trees. There were bike paths the whole way to Pyla. The dune was amazing, with a stairway going up to what looked like the top. When we climbed the stairs, we discovered that the actual top of the dune was quite a bit higher, and the sand stretched off in the distance for several kilometres. We walked up through the sand and had an incredible view of the Atlantic ocean on one side, and the forest upon which the dune was encroaching on the other side. In the sunshine and the wind, the warm temperatures and hardly any people, it was hard to stop looking around and descend the staircase back to our bikes.

One stretch of bike path south of Arcachon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stairs leading up onto the Dune du Pyla.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dune is smothering 4 meters of forest each year as it moves inland from the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way back to Arcachon, we ate our sandwiches on a sheltered bench with a sea view, and then stopped for coffee at a beachside cafe. We caught the train to Bordeaux from the Arcachon station and rode back to Cosy Corner through the rush hour traffic. It was less than 2 km, so no problem.

We had dinner at a nearby Portuguese restaurant with a very reasonable menu du jour. The restaurant didn't open until 8:00 pm, and we were very hungry. The good hearty dinner consisted of a buffet of hors d'oevres, then a whole dorade each with boiled potatoes, red wine, chocolate mousse, apple cake and coffee. Walked back to Cosy Corner and to bed.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 30 km (19 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0