La greve encore, no cycling - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2010

La greve encore, no cycling

WEATHER: CLOUDY

We decided not to try again to go to Pauillac by train as the strike was intensifying with demonstrations planned for today. We had only spent one morning walking around Bordeaux and wanted to see some of the areas we had missed. Geneviève told us about the Marché des Capucins, a few blocks away, and it was in full swing when we got there. All sorts of fruits, vegetables, breads, cheeses, flowers, meat, fish, wine, and crowds of people as well. Saturday is one of the biggest market days, and there was an antique and clothing and used book market in the nearby church square.

Rue Ste. Catherine, one of the busiest shopping streets in Bordeaux.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elaborate bronze sculpture that the Germans hauled off during WWII--apparently planning to melt it down and make shell casings out of it. Fortunately they didn't quite have time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Around noon we saw a large demonstration gathering for a march for la grève and lots of police and police vans. We walked down a side street where six or eight police vans were parked, and suddenly noticed a catering truck with the driver unloading bottles of water and cases of wine. The side doors of many of the vans were open, and we saw tables set up with the policemen sitting around and eating lunch. One gendarme in the front passenger seat (with a small table in front of him) was opening a bottle of wine, and he waved at us. Only in France where the lunch hour is sacred!

Police vans and catering trucks queued for the lunchtime break, while the demonstration formed a few blocks away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Le Miroir d'Eau des Quais along the riverfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After walking past 17th and 18th century mansions near the opera house-the heart of the city--we were in need of sustenance and made our way back to La Terrasse St. Pierre, where we sat inside the cozy dining room to escape the cool damp weather. We each had a salad, chicken for Eva, seafood for Al and a ½ bottle of Chateau Carignan Bordeaux.

That night we ate dinner in a new (only one month old) African restaurant we discovered a few blocks away from Cosy Corner, Chez Nadine. Madame Nadine herself greeted us and was quite a character. Another very reasonable good meal: salade vegetarienne, then poulet braisé for Eva and supreme de rouget for Al, both with plantains, and a fine ½ bottle of Haut de Pomerol.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0