In Plitvička Jezera: the lower lakes - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2020

In Plitvička Jezera: the lower lakes

Today’s walk was a nine mile loop of the lower lakes, ending at the single biggest highlight of the park Veliko Slap (the big fall), at the point where the Plitvica Potok River enters the lake system from the side and drops 78 meters (about 250 feet) down a sheer cliff into the lakes below.  It is an astonishing spectacle, especially seen from above atop the cliffs on the opposite side.  I see that in the winter the fall freezes, which is hard to imagine.

The walk as a whole is spectacular and very diverse.  Miles of quiet walking through beech forest beside the lake alternates with rises that give you breathtaking views from above, and even a passage through a cave.  It is quite congested near the big fall, with the usual crowds of people clogging up the trail taking an endless number of selfies.  Not that you can blame them.  It all must get really crazy during a normal tourist season.

I won’t say more than that here because we’re got a ride to depart for and we’re out of time, but I’ll likely come back later and throw in a few more captions.

I will say though that I’m feeling some cognitive dissonance being here and showing scenes from this place, while our friends back home are sheltered indoors hiding from the terrible air quality, if not in a more dire situation.  It’s comforting to see that the weather situation is improving at least in Oregon and rain is in the forecast, and to know that the new home of our friends the Grumbys hasn’t been harmed.  

Our thoughts are with everyone back home.  If we could share all this crisp, clear air with them, we surely would.  

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I especially like these fungi because their colors blend so well with the exposed wood.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be tinder fungus (horse hoof fungus). I have a few of these gathered maybe 10 or so years back thinking I might try to use some as tinder for backpacking.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadouvier
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it. I love that name. It’s so descriptive.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
A large, stone-like fungus maybe six inches across, on the trunk of a beech tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first view of Veliki Slap, but we heard it coming a mile away.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Red Brigade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
That Instagram moment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat shot! Matches well with demoiselle damselfly.

https://photoseek.photoshelter.com/image/I0000mgQmiMlNAIg
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve seen this crew before.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Oh, this should work. Those posts must be made of ironwood to hold that cliff up.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetActually, I think they are holding the ends of the crossbeams down. Still, the joint doesn't look stable...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetOh, of course. I knew they weren’t holding up the wall, but I puzzled over what they were for.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were many thousands of these lining the shore at one point. As you approached, they would explode into motion and move off to a safe distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A variety of gentian?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltFlowers sure do look right.
http://www.miroslav-photography.com/croatian-wild-flowers-gallery-2/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSome kind of bolete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolete
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYup. One of the few mushrooms I recognize on sight, from when I used to forage for them?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Jacquie GaudetAs one of the people reading this and dreaming about touring Croatia while hiding indoors from the terrible air quality (10+ on a scale from 1 to 10!), I'm sad for the people and creatures to the south who have flames as well as smoke. It's actually dusk at 9 a.m. here in the Vancouver area.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWhat a treat to jump back in while you're at this amazing park!

Thanks for your kind words and support. Evacuation hasn't been much fun, but we feel incredibly lucky that it seems that most of Silverton is OK and that we've had soft places to land. Hopefully the air quality will continue to improve and we can go home on Tuesday.

Looking forward to going back through your posts to get a dose of clean air and comforting sights.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jen RahnRelieved to hear you're doing okay. I'm enjoying the smoke too, so commiserating on that score. This journal is giving me a bit of a vacation every day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen. You're in the San Francisco area?

Hope all your friends and family are safe!

Maybe there will be some air quality relief this week.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jen RahnYes, thanks, all are well and fed up with everything.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago