Day 38 Gulf Shores, AL to Ft. Walton Beach, FL - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2021

Day 38 Gulf Shores, AL to Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a very unusual day!  The Pensacola Bridge is still not repaired from hurricane damage, so Dennis' partner Elli found a boat to take us from the mainland near Perdido Key to Pensacola Beach.  It only took the bikes and riders.  Dennis and Holly had to drive "the long way around". 

Leaving Gulf Shores in early a.m., looking towards Orange City. The coast in this area is made up of a string of keys with lagoons between the mainland and the keys.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At mile 12, we passed into Florida!!

Heart 3 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry Smith Welcome to Florida!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Fred GassAre these the Sharks or the Jets?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Going over a bridge connecting keys
Heart 1 Comment 0

Several of us  missed a turn to get to the boat, which added some stress to the day.  The boat ride itself was wonderful and the Blue Angels were practicing over our heads.  I'm not a big fan, but it is impossible not to be impressed with their level of skill.  It was quite thrilling.  

Loading the tandem onto the boat
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Southwind Marina
Heart 1 Comment 2
Fred GassQuite a feet!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Julie Gasslooks really beautiful! I've still never been to Florida. All the food you get to try looks so good! What an experience. Go Gasses!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unloading at Pensacola Beach
Heart 3 Comment 0

After landing at Pensacola Beach, we rode along Santa Rosa Island, a long skinny key that included the Gulf Islands National Seashore Park.

Pleasant road, but the headwind made it tedious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch stop at the beach
Heart 2 Comment 1
Margery GassBeautiful water, beautiful people!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Had to take one last bridge to get to the mainland.  We thought we were told we couldn't ride on the road...so we walked the narrow pedestrian path. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Amusing ourselves while waiting for dinner...

Heart 4 Comment 1
Margery Gass~~~~~~~funny~~~~~~~
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Dinner at the Shack, in Ft. Walton Beach was worth the wait. 

Heart 4 Comment 3
Kathy OstenI used to rent a condo with friends every summer at Fort Walton Beach. Know that AL/FL beach line well. Looks a little more inviting than Texas.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Krista GordonLots of smiles!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Kathy OstenHa! What a coincidence!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 455 miles (732 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0