Day 24: South Rim to Tuba City - Western North America - 2005 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2005

Day 24: South Rim to Tuba City

It rained quite a bit last night. Itty and I spread out all of our stuff to dry in the morning light. We didn't head off until mid-morning.

The Grand Canyon with a Good View of Bright Angel Creek
Heart 0 Comment 0

Itty was having a tough time with all the tourists. They kept asking him, "Where are you from?" And he'd say, "Philadelphia." And they'd ask, "But where are you REALLY from?" I commented that he was born in New York and grew up in Connecticut - while I was born in France and grew up in Puerto Rico. And who was the person they thought was a foreigner?

View of the Colorado River from Moran Point
Heart 0 Comment 0

While we were at an overlook, a German guy started setting up his camera equipment to take our photo. I told him that we weren't zoo animals and that he should have asked our permission. By this point, both Itty and I were fed up with the tourists and figured that we should overlook future overlooks. Just after this, Itty started having trouble with his knees. I thought we might stop at Desert View, but he wanted to keep going on.

Canyon of the Little Colorado
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got into Cameron at about 5:00. I really wanted to eat - he didn't. He later said that he couldn't eat meals while cycling. That left me at a loss. He's small - he doesn't have much endurance - he doesn't want to bike early or late - and he doesn't want to eat. I probably should have stopped then, but I wanted to see how he would do on a short dirt stretch - seeing as how we hadn't done any dirt yet and there were dirt stretches ahead.

Moenkopi Wash on an Earlier Tour - Same Glorious Sunset
Heart 0 Comment 0

The highway north from Cameron is a real death trap. When the Arizona Department of Transportation wanted to make passing lanes, they just did away with any shoulders - plus there's heavy traffic. So we were glad to turn off onto Moenkopi Wash Road. The sunset was glorious - illuminating the bluffs in gold and orange and pink - but Itty really struggled with the road even though most of it was hardpack. We didn't get into Tuba City until after dark.

Today's ride: 86 miles (138 km)
Total: 1,190 miles (1,915 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0