Eureka to Whitefish Lake campground - Glacier and other delights - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2017

Eureka to Whitefish Lake campground

Back where we started

The miles flew by pretty quickly until we neared Whitefish again. The traffic increased, the road became windier, and the shoulder shrank. The drivers also became more aggressive. We finally arrived at Whitefish Lake State Park, at  our oasis for the last night of the tour. The park host informed us that he would be putting us in an overflow hiker/biker spot. This surprised me because I had read about how hiker/biker camping had just recently been added to the campground. It turns out that the area was plenty big enough, it just happened to be full. The consolation prize was just fine. I wish I had taken a photo of the bike repair area and other great amenities they had constructed. They really did it right.

Nikki and Jeremy had recommended Bonsai Brewing Project as a place to visit. It's a bit north of town, but freed from our touring gear, it was an easy ride. We lounged in the lush yard, sipping the beers that we earned.

Back at camp, we talked to a younger fellow who had ridden from his home in North Dakota. This was his first tour. It sounded like one day he just decided to ride, and just kept going. His gear was pretty basic. I think he was planning to retrace his steps eastward. I admired his moxie.

Be warned that if you camp at Whitefish Lake, it's near the railroad tracks. It was pretty noisy, but we've dealt with worse.

The overflow bike camping spot at Whitefish Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nikki suggested this brewery just out of town. Worth the trip!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stuff all over the place
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 380 miles (612 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0