Crowsnest Campground to Fernie - Glacier and other delights - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2017

Crowsnest Campground to Fernie

Of kilometers and Canucks

It was a nice ride into Sparwood. By the time we arrived, it was quite hot, and a noticeable layer of smoke from nearby forest fires permeated the air. We took a long lunch break near the visitors' centre. From Sparwood to Fernie was not nearly as scenic as it looks on the map. It's basically flat, and whatever views might exist are obscured by trees. I think we were also eager to get our kilometers in for the day, and meet our first Canadian Warmshowers hosts!

Randal was waiting for us in the house, and he gave us towels and the lay of the land. After freshening up, we made camp in the back yard, and joined the family for dinner and conversation. There was a community concert going on downtown, so we walked there and hung out for a while. Fernie is a nice town, and appears to have created a niche for itself as a mountain biking mecca. It was strange to see so many bikes that didn't resemble ours at all.

The Frank Slide. The debris field continues well past the other side of the highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sparwood marks a turning point in our day
Heart 0 Comment 0
A somewhat exposed but otherwise great lunch spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heat and smoke make us a bit exasperated
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Fernie, BC!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sampling the local suds
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perfect spot to pitch our tent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks to Randal and Lisa, our lovely Fernie hosts
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 272 miles (438 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0