Pakapanthi Wetlands - While I Am Waiting - CycleBlaze

Pakapanthi Wetlands

 The Adelaide Parklands form a figure of 8 around the city and North Adelaide, with 29 parks in total.  
We recently learned that Park #16 also known as Victoria Park or Pakapanthi, had undergone a major reconstruction and recently opened as extensive flood mitigation works in the guise of wetlands.  Someone more observant than us may have noticed the construction works taking place as we pedaled through the parklands over the last year, but nope, we didn't have a clue until the wetlands appeared on our radar fully completed and just waiting for exploration.  

So off to explore we went.

Down the hill we went, magpie tape installed in anticipation of this year's swooping.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The wetlands gained the seal of approval from an elderly lady who shuffled along the path, using her walking stick to wave at bicyclists who passed too close or joggers who jogged on the wrong side of the pathway.  She was very happy with the end result although she had words to say about the dust and noise of construction, let alone the time it took.  I didn't suggest that she should have ignored it like some of us did, and then it would be a pleasant surprise to discover it, like some of us were doing. We agreed happily on our approval of the birds that had taken residence in the ponds, and our joint anticipation of things getting even better as the plants grew bigger.

Australian Wood Duck family.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful river red gums (I think).
Heart 0 Comment 0
It will be even better once the vegetation grows.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Having exhausted the possibilities of the Pakapanthi wetlands, and reluctant to go home too soon, we took a quick lap around the Botanic Gardens and along the River Torrens into the city. The Torrens was busy with paddle boats and pleasure cruises, taking its status as a real river very seriously.

The Torrens River, looking rather more grand than what it is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Training on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed the river and dawdled in town: Roger's phone had a distressing tendency to stop recording and tracking his ride and as any bicyclist will know, if you can't record the ride it didn't happen, and it would be dreadful if the whole enjoyable afternoon should be obliterated due to not existing on a bicycle tracking app.

Where am I? I'm not here! It tells me I'm in Queensland!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I took photos while I waited to find out if Roger's afternoon existed or not.  I wasn't worried about my afternoon: my app was working so I was untroubled by existential crises.

Reflections.
Heart 2 Comment 0



Finally having confirmed Roger's existence, we pedaled back out of the city through the parklands and along the delightful Rugby St bikeway, and caught the train back up the hill.  It being the weekend and beautiful weather, we shared the train with a horde of mountain-biking teenagers and two security guards who were there for the express purpose of wrangling mountain-biking teenagers into some semblance of civilised beings, which I'm glad to say they were for the duration of our trip up the hill.

It's a nice train ride, with wide open views down to the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 754 km (468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0