The Spaces In Between - While I Am Waiting - CycleBlaze

December 27, 2022

The Spaces In Between

While I am Waiting

We humans spend so much of our life waiting: waiting to go to school and to leave school; to find a job or to leave a job; to find partner Right or to leave partner Wrong; to leave the life we currently have for the life we believe is just around the corner; and then one day we  find out that our whole life has happened in the spaces between the things we waited for and that old age is nibbling at our heels.

In 2020 we planned a big tour, riding down the Danube in early celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary.  Covid happened, nobody went overseas, and we all stayed home and waited for life to start again. 

In 2021 we planned a big tour around the east coast of Australia to celebrate our 'pretirement': Brisbane to Adelaide, keep the ocean on your left, drop in to Sydney and Melbourne to visit the kids. Covid kept happening, we did a little tour in Queensland instead, followed by a big road trip to South Australia. We spent a bit of time with my in laws and realised we needed to spend more, because time was running out and no one can wind back the clocks.

In 2022 the borders opened, we planned the East Coast tour again.  In Melbourne our daughter, always sick, got sicker. The East Coast had to wait, and we waited instead for surgery and the promise, if not of healing, at least of better health.

This is the story of the rides I took in the spaces in between the rest of my life, while I was waiting.

Between land and sea: Bayside Melbourne on someone else's bike.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 17
Comment on this entry Comment 0