To Chur - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2012

To Chur

It was clear when we woke which was lovely as it meant that we would have great views all day. Across the bridge we went into Liechtenstein. The sun hadn’t reached that side of the river yet and there was a bit of very low cloud hanging around there. It must be extremely cold in winter, some of the little places high up on the mountain looked as if they wouldn’t see the sun all winter. As we rode along the river bank we could look across to Switzerland at the high pastures and the little wooden houses high up, it makes you think of Heidi. The sound of cow bells helps that too, a noise that you hear in the background as you ride along. That is of course if you are not too close to the motorway as we were for a good bit of the time.

Across a closed in wooden bridge and we were back in Switzerland. This bridge was really quite new and the smell of wood as we rode through was delicious. The wind was beginning to strengthen and at times it was so strong I was in my lowest gear and could barely keep on the track. Some of it was I think the strongest head wind I have ever ridden in.

Yesterday in Buchs we had been watching the children riding their bikes around the streets and had been very impressed with the confident way they rode, how they dealt with roundabouts, how they acknowledged cars that gave way for them etc. Now we know the secret, as we were going along the bank we came across an amazing site. There was quite a big area set up permanently with roads, traffic lights, roundabouts, stop signs, road works etc. On it was what looked like a whole class of children riding identical bikes under the supervision of a number of policemen. No wonder they rode so well as they have had proper instruction.

The official route goes up quite high in places in this segment but we decided that with the wind as it was we would stick to the flat by the Rhine. We were riding along, apparently away from anywhere, when suddenly, near a railway station, we came to a massive collection of Outlet Stores complete of course with big car parks etc. I figured that with all that shopping being done there must be somewhere to get a coffee and there was.

Our final destination for the day was Chur which advertises itself as being an alpine city which is one of the oldest in Switzerland with signs of human habitation going back to12000 BC. There is evidence of it being almost continually inhabited since the Neolithic period. The old town is picturesque with what was to us a particularly stunning late Romanesque cathedral that stands surrounded by fortifications high above the city in the centre of the courtyard. But what is particularly stunning is its interior. It is surprisingly light and a riot of colour with a painted ceiling, a gold altar and some lovely stained glass.

From tomorrow on we can’t escape climbing so it will be interested to see how we go. Hope the wind dies down.

The sun beginning to shine on the high meadows
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love these enclosed wooden bridges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike riding instructions
Heart 0 Comment 0
More bike riding instruction
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is lots of information about the wild life along the way - just a pity we dont read German
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beside the Rhine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the corn they were cutting was blowing away
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got a cup of coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very tame
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern Chur
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower of St Martins
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a massive railway station in Chur
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 3,211 km (1,994 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0