Cycling in Denmark - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2012

Cycling in Denmark

Ken and I loved Denmark. It is extremely bike friendly. As I have mentioned before the cycle traffic in Copenhagen is truly amazing. You can go anywhere on a bike route and to me there seemed heavier bike traffic than car traffic. This of course is summer but our friend Jens tells as that people still ride their bikes in winter, they just put on more clothes. He and his wife work at the same hospital which is about 15km from their home. Their normal routine is to take only one car to work with a bike aboard and whoever finishes work first rides home. No wonder that the Danes look a fit and slim people.

Once out of Copenhagen there were a moderate number of cycle tourists. We were on the very popular Copenhagen to Berlin cycle route. It is very well signed and there are numbered cycle routes in all directions, it is hard to get lost though of course we managed it on our last day. Often we were riding on small roads but the traffic volume was very low and the traffic very aware of cyclists and they are driving at the modest speed limits. Although we did see many cycle tourists the ones we saw were either German or Danish and as Kiwis we were novelties. They were nearly all staying in B and Bs or hotels. We stayed in 2 camp sites and the campers were all set up for a long stay rather than just an over night one like us. Both were very well equipped and spotlessly clean. The first was huge and had a lovely family atmosphere. Children were playing happily, there were small babies and dogs in many of the camps. The dogs were all under control and people told me there was a large off leash area at one part of the camp. The other camp was much smaller everyone was well set up and there were far fewer families and the main occupation of the middle aged seemed to be sitting around smoking and drinking beer.

My overwhelming impression is of a peaceful country with calm friendly people. Of course nearly all of them speak almost perfect English which makes it very easy for us. The only thing we disliked was the amount of smoking it certainly made us realise how far along the route New Zealand has come to be a non smoking country. The scenery was largely bountiful rural and coastal scenery. The wind was a bit of a problem and apparently often is, we would have been better to be riding in the opposite direction as most tourers are. Prices, as expected are high, particularly for accommodation but the supermarket prices not too bad. Internet connection was easily available. Would we recommend cycle touring in Denmark? Most certainly it was a great experience.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0