The Great Taste Trail Nelson to Motueka - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

February 27, 2024

The Great Taste Trail Nelson to Motueka

Five Almost Hang Together.

Prologue:                                              The Bad Taste Trail.

 It’s been a kiwi summer of two halves- a wet and windy, shaky start followed by later months of growing heat. Time then, to add another trail to our Waikato jaunt. Another trail being Tasman Nelson’s Great Taste Trail. The what, is a three day venture taken at a leisurely pace and extended to four. The who, a group of five, all related in one way or another, and the trail renamed, for reasons that may or may not become clear, ‘The Bad Taste Trail.’

We start our ride in Nelson at the top of the South Island and a sunny spot that has been the holiday Mecca for kiwis and others for many years. It’s taken Ann and me a day’s drive to Wellington with our bikes on board, and an easy crossing to the South Island on the Inter islander ferry. After a night’s sleep in Nelson in a beautiful 19th century cottage we’re set to go.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Nelson to Motueka 

Our starting  place is on the Richmond rail trail - easy to find because it’s close to where we’ve dropped the car. We’re away on a pleasant sunny morning ride along a tree lined path in the suburb of Richmond. There are quite a few locals out walking and e-bike riders hareing  by, and towards us. The attitude is like the advice teachers used to get: firm but friendly. 

The starters for the Bad Taste Trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Richmond Rail Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cargo bike? Who needs a cargo bike?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shouldn’t NZ revive its railway past?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking towards Nelson.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The iconic red shed.
Heart 0 Comment 0


The trail changes to a narrower sandy surface as we head towards the coast. We’re now getting clear views of the hills behind Nelson city, across the shining lagoon studded with reeds and mangroves. The trail weaves across this area and reaches the beach. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A radio shack used by the airport before modern technology.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here, a swim in the blue waves creating the shoreline looks like a distinct possibility and we are set to surf, when we realise two of our party have missed a turn and headed onwards up the trail. In pursuit of these loose women we eschew our dip and leap into the saddle.

It’s to the Mapua Ferry that we head, and, lagging behind a little, I arrive at the landing to find a full boat and everyone waiting.

Heart 0 Comment 0
On board a full ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon we’ve crossed over to the other side of of the estuary inlet and to discover a multiplicity of tempting eating outlets. While Ann and I settle for our filled ciabatta rolls others hive off to one, or all, of exotic outlets on offer. 

Mapua is one of NZ’s main apple growing areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


So far the trail has been pretty straightforward. And for a time it remains so - a mix of suburban streets and unpaved but compacted paths through Ruby Bay and Lower Moutere, until we are within what seems to be a mere biscuit toss of our goal for the day, Motueka. Then, the trail gets mean. For a start, it goes up quite rapidly- no problem really, but then the trail becomes a little rocky too. The rocky ascents become steeper until at their pinnacle we have a wonderful view of the Motueka River and the town of Motueka below. The descent involves the Kona Sutra in some initial bouncing from rock to rock before it smooths out and we are entering Motueka on suburban streets.

On high.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The range above The Motueka River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Motueka Garden Motels seems a little limited in the garden aspect, but the rooms are spacious, the beds bouncy, the shower warm and the cooking facilities easily mastered. The pool looks tempting but by the time we’ve cycled to the New World, an interesting feature of which are the number of Ni Vanuatu in town as part of the fruit picking force, the sun has lost its warmth. 

Our day’s destination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When it’s drying time again…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a healthy dinner of sweet corn, potatoes and cucumber and tomato salad accompanied by a fresh, and fruity Kahurangi Sauvignon Blanc, our day ends. It’s been a great start and it still tastes great .

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 434 km (270 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0