Orere Point to Auckland - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

December 17, 2023

Orere Point to Auckland

Homeward bound

The road out of Ōrere Point is tree adorned and pretty and quiet. It’s a warm morning and we’re pleased to be away comparatively early. What we recall of the route are the number of undulations coming up. The first stop will be Kawakawa Bay and apart from the one uphill described as moderate, it’s all good. The hill road is hemmed in by bush, and descending is fun.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Orere Point- road is Pohutukawa lined.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming to Kawakawa Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Kawakawa Bay comes up quite quickly. The tide is in and the water looks enticing but we want to move onto Clevedon before it gets hotter and before there’s too much traffic. There’s a Sunday morning market on in Clevedon and Ford Rangers are beginning to blast by, drivers full of weekender joie de vie. Some drivers are very careful, giving a good amount of space when passing, others clearly see anything between them and cracking a fast ton as completely undeserving of consideration. Ownership of double cab utes and SUVs has become a political issue in NZ- although the negative effects on climate of bigger vehicles is well known, there’s very much a head in the sand attitude.

Kawakawa Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure who’s enforcing, but you have been told.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The climb out of the bay is a little challenging but it forms a pattern for what’s to follow. Undulations of varying degrees of difficulty, followed by some relaxed downhills. I read somewhere that when you’re cycling, you’re only active for about 60% of the time. I don’t  think that was true on this leg. Or our legs. It’s even busier than the last one with traffic hurrying to the market - we are almost within reach of Auckland’s suburban tentacles.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder if this photograph of dame Whina Cooper was the model for the marae signage?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a quick look around the market we buy five avocados at a dollar each and rehydrate. Then it’s on to Maraetai, only a few kilometres further on. Here we stop for lunch and have a swim. The water’s warmer than Waihi Beach but still rather fresh. It’s a beautiful way to finish our ride. There are many family groups out enjoying a summer Sunday, picnicking and swimming.

Looking across to Waiheke Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown of the City of Sails in the far distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here, it’s a few kilometres around to Pine Harbour from where we can catch the ferry to Downtown Auckland. We arrive with about an hour to spare and celebrate our ride with a Hazy IPA in the restaurant next to the ferry wharf. It’s been a satisfying ride, not always easy but as with all cycling trips, there’s always something of interest or unexpected around the corner. The final ‘ unexpected’ is that trains are not running from Britomart to Mt Albert and so we finish as we started, back on the cycleway. 

At home, the garden’s not too bad after a week of neglect and tomatoes and beans are looking like they mean business. And so it’s home- open up the doors and windows and enjoy some real loose leaf tea. In a real teapot.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 380 km (236 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rich FrasierI enjoyed this one - followed along with the help of Google Maps. It’s always nice to get home, isn’t it? I hope the summer garden goes well!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Mike Ayling+1 for leaf tea in a teapot!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Michael HutchingTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich. Summer seems to finally be with us and garden and house maintenance is going to keep us busy for a while!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Michael HutchingTo Mike AylingAbsolutely Mike! Tea bags, unfortunately, are a poor substitute.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago